Spring into the Dales 2010 (Yorkshire Dales!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beaker39

I just thought I would post my two penneth as I also did this on Sunday.

This was my first Audax and the most climbing I have ever done in one ride and I must say it was a fantastic event, something I would definately do again. I was pleased as punch to not only finish but do it in a total time of 7hrs 5mins. Everyone was so much more friendly than what you get in the "over priced sportives" and I did not feel any pressure from anyone and felt much more relaxed. The hills nearly killed me but the sense of achievement was fantastic. I think I passed you Hulver on the fixie on the climb out of Hebden Bridge and was gob smacked that someone was riding a fixie. Much admiration to you.

So there you go - great people, great scenery, great food, great achievement, GREAT DAY :laugh:

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Beaker39 said:
I just thought I would post my two penneth as I also did this on Sunday.

This was my first Audax and the most climbing I have ever done in one ride and I must say it was a fantastic event, something I would definately do again. I was pleased as punch to not only finish but do it in a total time of 7hrs 5mins. Everyone was so much more friendly than what you get in the "over priced sportives" and I did not feel any pressure from anyone and felt much more relaxed. The hills nearly killed me but the sense of achievement was fantastic. I think I passed you Hulver on the fixie on the climb out of Hebden Bridge and was gob smacked that someone was riding a fixie. Much admiration to you.

So there you go - great people, great scenery, great food, great achievement, GREAT DAY :smile:

Most people did overtake me on that hill.

I actually over took one person on there though, I was very proud. It took me almost to the top to do it. Then he came past me on the downhill to the first turn and I never saw him again. :tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
hulver said:
There was a lady who was just setting off from there when I got to it. I wonder if she made it in time, she had about an hour left to do the final leg.
She did - just! I was eating my last sandwich when I heard a man call out "Well done - you made it with 5 minutes to spare!" I turned round and saw a tired-looking but satisfied woman walking in.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
ColinJ said:
She did - just! I was eating my last sandwich when I heard a man call out "Well done - you made it with 5 minutes to spare!" I turned round and saw a tired-looking but satisfied woman walking in.

Yey. You just made my day. :evil:

pizzicatooff

Those of you who rode Spring Into The Dales or Leap Into The Aire from Hebden Bridge on Sunday 18 April might be interested in the photos taken during the event, mostly by John Sutcliffe. These have been posted in their entirety at
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/362499833
for you to browse.

When we can work out how to get the video off the camera that we borrowed, we'll try to post that somewhere too.

I understand that there is also an interesting account of the ride with a few more photos, courtesy of ColinJ at http://www.slimmerandfitter.com/road-ride-spring-into-the-dales-2010/

Regards

Chris

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow, coincidence, I had just gone to see if the photos were up on the website...

Anyway, I like this one:

9544266967355a47f98c045f5c7d9d33f687bc0c722298ca4f2daf1e6ab4e27e45eff46a.jpg

It was worth the smile I forced, when I saw the camera! I was hurting at that stage (just before the top of Cock Hill on the home leg), and doing about 3mph!:laugh:

Annoyingly, it doesn't look very uphill. But I wasn't quite at the top yet....

Heh, you can tell how slow I'm going, my flag isn't even flying behind me....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Arch said:
Wow, coincidence, I had just gone to see if the photos were up on the website...

Anyway, I like this one:

9544266967355a47f98c045f5c7d9d33f687bc0c722298ca4f2daf1e6ab4e27e45eff46a.jpg
There's another one of you either just after you got back or just before you set off. It's a few photos from the end of the slideshow.

I think that andy_wrx and goodspeed must have slipped the photographer a few quid because there are multiple pictures of them! I couldn't see any of my little group though. Our policy of bringing up the rear might have to be reevaluated for Season of Mists!

zacklaws

Guru
ColinJ said:
I couldn't see any of my little group though. Our policy of bringing up the rear might have to be reevaluated for Season of Mists!

There is a photo right at the end, somewhere just before or just after Arch's second picture, where I can see myself, top of Rammylads helmet and Alun stood on the road waiting for you to come back from the toilet. Picture 192

photo

photo

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

zacklaws said:
There is a photo right at the end, somewhere just before or just after Arch's second picture, where I can see myself, top of Rammylads helmet and Alun stood on the road waiting for you to come back from the toilet. Picture 192

photo

photo
Oh yes, I stand corrected!

Still, no action shot of us though. Mind you, they'd have needed a pretty wide angle lens to get all 4 of us in on the climbs because there tended to be about half a mile between us!

goodspeed

I think that andy_wrx and goodspeed must have slipped the photographer a few quid because there are multiple pictures of them! I couldn't see any of my little group though. [/QUOTE]

I had my stunt double follow the photographer all day! :smile:

Hmm, there are quite a few pics of us aren't there !
The photographer kept leapfrogging us and I was getting a bit worried at one point at the attention we seemed to be getting from him - I consoled myself that it must mean we looked really photogenic...

I went round steadily with Ade & Anthony from North Cheshire Clarion, first audax for both of them (my 5th or 6th, hence an expert !).
Both are definitely converted, saying that compared to big-money sportives you didn't seem to get a lot less and for a lot less money.
Both commented that the people were different too - average age bit higher, but less bike-snobbery and people talked to you on the way round.

And both were saying that the hills killed them, but they'd do it again next year.
- I haven't mentioned Season of Mists yet...

I hope Ade won't mind if I link to his blog write-up of SitD - he's doing LEJOG in a couple of months and SitD was hill-practice
http://ade2010lejog.wordpress.com/

Thanks to Chris and the rest of the organising team : as usual, a really good event - cheers !

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
I think you can just see the top of my head over a wall in one picture.

And I'd washed my bike and everything!:smile:

Never mind. Next time, they'll be bound to snap you, because they'll be wowed by your matching bottle cage...:smile:

Oh yes, that other one of me is just before the off I think. Does my bum look big?

<retires to wait for chaps to come up with tactful answers>

Top Bottom