Spring Into The Dales 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay

Veteran
Unfortunately I can't make this one as I'll be darn sarf at the in-laws.
If anyone fancies a tasty training ride the weekend before (9th or 10th) I'll be doing one of my favourite 100milers, from Lancaster taking in Arnside, Kirkby Lonsdale, Dent, Ribblehead, Settle and Wray. Bootiful.
I'd be happy to lead an informal ride.
Let me know if there's any interest and I'll firm up the details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I will be on my trusty Secteur, hopefully by then my gears will be sorted, they were much better yesterday after I did some fettling.
Looks like we'll have a nice little gathering, should be another good day,
Looking at the pics from last years ride everybody seems to be travelling light, might have to take the rack and paniers off again :thumbsup:
Has Shaun given any clue as to whether he's out for this one?

If i do it then i might strip the Sirrus of mudguards and carriers and just have the saddle bag and waist bag i used on the Blackpool run.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If anyone fancies a tasty training ride the weekend before (9th or 10th) I'll be doing one of my favourite 100milers, from Lancaster taking in Arnside, Kirkby Lonsdale, Dent, Ribblehead, Settle and Wray. Bootiful.

It sounds great but I'm walking with an old pal and her dog that weekend. Have fun!

Steve - I agree with tubby and potsy - if we can do it, so can you. I think all 4 of us will be knackered at the end but we'll get round. Don't forget - the last 4.5 miles or so are a glorious downhill!

Skud - I was impressed at what you did on your fixie on Sunday but I definitely think you'll enjoy the ride more with some extra gears!

There is an audax control at Earby where there is usually a car laden with bananas, biscuits and chocolate. There is another control at the Dalesman cafe in Gargrave. You can get water at Burnsall and there is another control at Rossi's cafe in Keighley so there are plenty of opportunities to refuel if you don't want to carry too much with you.

potsy

Rambler
There is an audax control at Earby where there is usually a car laden with bananas, biscuits and chocolate. There is another control at the Dalesman cafe in Gargrave. You can get water at Burnsall and there is another control at Rossi's cafe in Keighley so there are plenty of opportunities to refuel if you don't want to carry too much with you.

That's good to know, i will try to travel light on this one as there are plenty of re-fuelling ops.
What do you think the chances are of getting on the Market car park that day? And how far is the HQ from there?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's good to know, i will try to travel light on this one as there are plenty of re-fuelling ops.
What do you think the chances are of getting on the Market car park that day? And how far is the HQ from there?
Well, there might be (what?) about 70-odd SITD drivers trying to park at that time in the morning. Some people will ride in and some will share lifts. Depending on the weather, there might be upto about 125 riders.

You've got the main Market Place car park which has 31 places and costs 30p/hour. If that is full, you can use the car park behind it (Valley Road car park) but that costs 50p/hour and has 38 places. Very few cars are left overnight so you ought to be able to park in one of those two especially because some of those in the know park on the free places on the main roads. (You can try the left hand side of the A646 as you leave Hebden Bridge towards Halifax. There is room along there for quite a lot of cars where there are no yellow lines. You can also turn up the road on the Todmorden side of the Co-op go over the canal bridge and then immediately turn right up the steep Horsehold Road. There are some unrestricted spots there on your right at the foot of the hill.

The event HQ is on the top floor of Salem Mill which is adjacent to the Co-op. Turn down the side-street on the Halifax side of the Co-op. The mill is just in front of you. Just follow the endless stream of cyclists! It is only about 300 metres from the car parks, 150 metres from Horsehold road or about 400 metres from the spaces on the A646.

'Spot the CycleChatters'

sitd_start_large.jpg

zacklaws

Guru

I had those fears of parking last year, so I arrived just a bit early and was surprised to see the car park empty which gave me time to walk to the HQ, book in which is only a few minutes away, walk back to the car and leisurely get ready. Even at the time of riding down to the HQ for the start, if I recall their was still plenty of space. It seems most of the riders park in the streets where its free. Season of the Mists was exactly the same.

The only thing to remember in the car park is watch out for all the dog c**p. Don't reverse in as the edges are full of it and makes it dodgy getting your gear out of the boot, and look before you step out of the car.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Unfortunately I can't make this one as I'll be darn sarf at the in-laws.

I might be tempted by the 10th if the weather is okay. Sounds pretty hilly though

Ajay

Veteran
I might be tempted by the 10th if the weather is okay. Sounds pretty hilly though

Sure, it's not flat! Bikeroutetoaster tells me there's 1570m of climbing, so less than SITD(?)
I'd say it feels like more as there's lots of up n down. 3 nice climbs, Clawthorpe to Hutton Roof, Barbondale, and Dent to Newby Head. No crazy gradients- the steepest section being the final pull out of Dentdale. I can get my 17st up there so I'm sure you can!!

zacklaws

Guru
Well I've had a week off my bike since my knee locked solid, did a 40 yesterday and a 60 today with just slight twinges, so see how I feel tommorow after club ride and I'll get my name down for SITD.

potsy

Rambler
Can somebody please give me a beginners guide to Audaxing, what to expect at the start, do I have to bring anything with me for registration etc.
I have signed up online and been sent a route description and a small map, do I print these off or are they provided in hard copy at the start?
I take it we all turn up at 8.30 ish and register for a 9am start?

As for food stops and HQ, do we pay extra for any provisions or is it a donation type arrangement?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to have an idea of what to expect before I get there :thumbsup:

Have we talked Big Steve into it yet?

ps- Do I bring my camera? Or is the weight saving needed that extreme? :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can somebody please give me a beginners guide to Audaxing, what to expect at the start, do I have to bring anything with me for registration etc.

I have signed up online and been sent a route description and a small map, do I print these off or are they provided in hard copy at the start?

I take it we all turn up at 8.30 ish and register for a 9am start?
Yes, I'd aim to be at Salem mill by about 08:30. There will be a lot of people riders around by that time. Bring a lock for your bike.

Walk up to the top floor of the mill. It's easy at the start. Not quite so easy at the finish! ;)

There will be a table with brevet cards on it for people who have pre-registered. Find the one with your name on it. Take it to Chris Crossland or his assistant to get it signed.

There might be tea and/or coffee available. I always arrive at the last minute so I've never noticed.

You shouldn't need the route sheet because I will be showing us the way, but you never know, I could catch a lurgy like Shaun's at the last minute, or somehow we could become separated. I think they usually do hand out copies of the route sheet with the cards but it wouldn't hurt to print your own copy just in case.

There will be a big queue for the toilets!

Everybody heads outside at about 08:55. It's surprising how hard it can be to find the people you are looking for in a group of 125, so I suggest that we start at the back. If we set off in the middle of the group then 90% of the riders would overtake us anyway so why bother? If we start at the back, we might actually overtake a few people ourselves!

As for food stops and HQ, do we pay extra for any provisions or is it a donation type arrangement?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to have an idea of what to expect before I get there :thumbsup:

Have we talked Big Steve into it yet?

ps- Do I bring my camera? Or is the weight saving needed that extreme? :biggrin:
I usually start the day with a £10 note and buy something at the cafes at Gargrave and Keighley. It is considered polite to buy something at each cafe to show thanks for them letting us use their facilities for the audax controls.

There is a collection plate at the end on the tables with the food and drink on, but there is no pressure to donate. I take a handful of my change and donate that. Probably £2.00 or so. It's up to you how much you want to give.

I think we are still working on Big Steve!

Definitely bring your camera. I like not having to take all the pictures.

Hi chaps

Colin - thanks for the info on "Over The Edge".
They have sent me an entry form so i'm already signed up - thanks again.

Can't join you on this one chaps as it's the same day as Wrynose or Bust 116 miles / Bay Dash 60 miles starting in Lancaster.
I did the Bay Dash last year & it's just a brill ride - so I'm already signed up for this year.
Going off now to see if there is a thread for it.

Enjoy - stay upright.

Col - PM when you get chance, you'v got my email

Top Bottom