Spring Into The Dales 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay folks, let's stop talking about this year's SITD on other threads and do it here!

(For those of you who don't know the event, here are the CycleChat threads from 2009 and 2010 for you to peruse at your leisure.)

I'm going to post my entry tomorrow. You should get yours in ASAP or email the organiser Chris Crossland if you don't get it done in time (entries should be received by Monday). Don't just turn up unannounced.

In previous years we have had two CycleChat groups - the fast, and the slow. I'll be in the slow group again!

The cut-off is 9 hours and 10 minutes. How about the slow group try and do it in about 8 hours? I used to do it in about 6 but the last couple of years it has taken me just over 8. I'm not currently fit enough to improve on that and I doubt that 2 weeks is going to make much difference!

Who will join me as Lanternes Rouge? ;)

tubbycyclist

Entered, and it is possible to do it online this year using paypal so even easier.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I've got my son that day, but I might see if he'll let me off for a few hours to come and do this. I'll ask him this weekend, see what he says. So I'm a maybe. If I do come I'll probably take off with the fast group until the slow group catch me up and then form an even slower grupetto of one.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I am going to give it a miss, at the moment I have a sore hip that has been giving me jip since winter and I have to have it xrayed this week so I dont want to do a really hard ride until I know the results of that, so have a nice ride and I am up for joining you guys for a ride at some point this year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Entered, and it is possible to do it online this year using paypal so even easier.
It certainly is! At least it would be if my Opera browser wasn't struggling with PayPal. Still, Firefox sorted that out - I'm in!

Entered, what have I let myself in for? :ohmy:
How about we aim for 9 hours and 9 minutes :biggrin: sprint finish for the line.
Well, I factor in a quick trip home to drop off my bike have a wash, get changed and walk to HQ. 15 minutes or so. It saves me worrying about my bike. Alun usually locks his bike in his car.

I've got my son that day, but I might see if he'll let me off for a few hours to come and do this. I'll ask him this weekend, see what he says. So I'm a maybe. If I do come I'll probably take off with the fast group until the slow group catch me up and then form an even slower grupetto of one.
I don't think you've quite grasped the concept of the slow and fast groups! ;) We never catch the fast group! Typically, they have left the stops en route before we even get to them ...

I am going to give it a miss, at the moment I have a sore hip that has been giving me jip since winter and I have to have it xrayed this week so I dont want to do a really hard ride until I know the results of that, so have a nice ride and I am up for joining you guys for a ride at some point this year.
Probably wise and I hope it isn't anything serious!

See you on a forum ride later in 2011.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Do you have to be a member of Audax UK to join in Colin ? Getting twitchy at the challenge along with the night ride to Blackpool !!!
No - anybody can do the rides.

If you are an Audax UK member you are insured for all audax events you enter and you get 4 magazines sent to you a year. Membership costs £19 for the first year, and then £14 per year after that as long as you don't let your membership lapse.

If you are not a member then you have to pay £2 extra per event for temporary membership for the insurance cover.

(If you have separate insurance cover through the CTC or British Cycling then you don't have to pay the £2 surcharge)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
No - anybody can do the rides.

If you are an Audax UK member you are insured for all audax events you enter and you get 4 magazines sent to you a year. Membership costs £19 for the first year, and then £14 per year after that as long as you don't let your membership lapse.

If you are not a member then you have to pay £2 extra per event for temporary membership for the insurance cover.

(If you have separate insurance cover through the CTC or British Cycling then you don't have to pay the £2 surcharge)

Cheers Colin,might be up for this then :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
Cheers Colin,might be up for this then :thumbsup:

On the fixed? :ohmy:
This will be my 1st ever Audax, got my confirmation e-mail today so I'm all set.
Will you be joining us in the slow group Skud or will you be going at a more natural pace for you?
Save us some cake if you do 'bomb on' :thumbsup:

Steve H

Large Member
I'm thinking 7000 feet of climbing might be just a touch too ambitious for my 17 stone frame to be dragged around. I notice there is a parallel event on the same day - "Leap into the Aire". This has 4000 feet of climbing over a shorter course which may be more achievable for me.

Anyone know if the two routes share any of the same journey? If the opening miles are the same, it would be good to ride with some company. I might even ride into Hebden from Brighouse to up my total miles for the day.

potsy

Rambler
I'm thinking 7000 feet of climbing might be just a touch too ambitious for my 17 stone frame to be dragged around. I notice there is a parallel event on the same day - "Leap into the Aire". This has 4000 feet of climbing over a shorter course which may be more achievable for me.

Anyone know if the two routes share any of the same journey? If the opening miles are the same, it would be good to ride with some company. I might even ride into Hebden from Brighouse to up my total miles for the day.

Come on big Steve, how hard can it be? Going off last Sundays ride myself Colin and Tubby will be setting a very gentle pace to ensure we all get round OK, you are at least as fit as us 3.
Reading last years thread I think the other route starts 1 hour later?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
On the fixed? :ohmy:
This will be my 1st ever Audax, got my confirmation e-mail today so I'm all set.
Will you be joining us in the slow group Skud or will you be going at a more natural pace for you?
Save us some cake if you do 'bomb on' :thumbsup:

I think the fixed might be too ambitious from what i have heard of this one ! If i do have a go i will stick with the CC gang...one for all and all that !! What are you using Potsy ??

tubbycyclist

The Leap into the Aire starts an hour later than the longer route, and it does shares some of the same roads. Most riders tends towards most doing the longer route, but there are usually 50-60 riders who do the Leap into the Aire, and the route is predominantly on minor roads.

Having said that, I have ridden with you and I am sure you would get round SITD in the time limit despite its lumpiness. I have done it a few times and it is fine. My advice would be take it steady and don't go off too quickly; eat and drink plenty of suitable food and, most of all, enjoy the bike ride! The route is excellent and there are some wonderful views and lanes to explore, which more than makes up for the inclusion of Keighley towards the end.

potsy

Rambler
I think the fixed might be too ambitious from what i have heard of this one ! If i do have a go i will stick with the CC gang...one for all and all that !! What are you using Potsy ??

I will be on my trusty Secteur, hopefully by then my gears will be sorted, they were much better yesterday after I did some fettling.
Looks like we'll have a nice little gathering, should be another good day,
Looking at the pics from last years ride everybody seems to be travelling light, might have to take the rack and paniers off again :thumbsup:
Has Shaun given any clue as to whether he's out for this one?

Top Bottom