Spring Into The Dales 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Cheers Colin, I will bring the camera then, if only to prove I did it :biggrin:
I don't have easy access to a printer which is why I was asking about the route map, only have my little netbook but can probably get one printed off somehow.
Good idea to start at the back, hopefully that way we won't get separated, though if the 1st hill is anything like I think it is you'd soon catch me up :thumbsup:

Have just stocked up on snack bars and electrolyte tabs so I will bring these and like you buy a little something at each cafe stop.

Come on Steve stop hiding :hello:

Steve H

Large Member
Have we talked Big Steve into it yet?

I think we are still working on Big Steve!

Come on Steve stop hiding :hello:

I have to confess, I have been hiding under the table since this thread began. So much climbing, so much belly, so much pain. Was definitely going to give it a miss. Do you think it is possible to lose 3 stone in the next 2 weeks to make this ride bearable?

OK - procrastinations over. I'm in. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I've made my entry and paid my money.

I look forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks time and cursing and swearing whilst suffering on the hills.:tongue:

zacklaws

Guru
Can somebody please give me a beginners guide to Audaxing, what to expect at the start, do I have to bring anything with me for registration etc.
I have signed up online and been sent a route description and a small map, do I print these off or are they provided in hard copy at the start?
I take it we all turn up at 8.30 ish and register for a 9am start?

In addition to what Colin has said, bring a pen, you'll need one to mark your brevet card for the questions on route and share it with those that have not got one. :rolleyes: Not a fountain pen either in case its a wet day.

If you are using a map, make sure its waterproofed, once again it might be wet.

I usually park up, walk down to the HQ to register, walk back to the car and get ready and then ride down to the start line. At the end, as I usually have plenty of time to do so, I go back to the car, pack my bike away, get changed and then once again walk back down to the HQ to report in and have a good chat and feed and not have to worry about my bike left outside, but if time is short before the cutoff point, you may need to go to the HQ promptly.

Well a good 30 to 40 miles now for my final fitness check on my knee and if its OK I'll get registered. Its still twinging a bit but not so bad now

PaulB

Legendary Member
I really want to do this but I am banjaxed at the moment with a horrible infection of the chestular region. I can't even contemplate training on my bike as I'd fall off it I'm so dizzy. Isn't it nice!

trio25

Über Member
I don't think I can do this, shame as its a lovely route. But having a minor opp on the monday so may not have recovered..... may enter incase I have though.

potsy

Rambler
In addition to what Colin has said, bring a pen, you'll need one to mark your brevet card for the questions on route and share it with those that have not got one. :rolleyes: Not a fountain pen either in case its a wet day.

I usually park up, walk down to the HQ to register, walk back to the car and get ready and then ride down to the start line. At the end, as I usually have plenty of time to do so, I go back to the car, pack my bike away, get changed and then once again walk back down to the HQ to report in and have a good chat and feed and not have to worry about my bike left outside, but if time is short before the cutoff point, you may need to go to the HQ promptly.

Well a good 30 to 40 miles now for my final fitness check on my knee and if its OK I'll get registered. Its still twinging a bit but not so bad now

A pen? Is that what we used before lap tops and mobile phones? :rolleyes:
I'll probably do the same as you Zacklaws, leave the bike in car and walk down.
Good luck with the knee.

Big Steve :bravo: more company at the back for us :tongue:

zacklaws

Guru
Well my knees held up to 150 miles now and numerous hills and a very fast ride today so I've entered SITD. See you all on the day. I've still got my fluroscent orange "CC" letters stuck on both sides of my helmet for you to try and spot me in the crowd if you don't know me.........or avoid.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was definitely going to give it a miss. Do you think it is possible to lose 3 stone in the next 2 weeks to make this ride bearable?

OK - procrastinations over. I'm in. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I've made my entry and paid my money.
Good man! I wouldn't try any heroic weight loss in the next two weeks. You'd only leave yourself feeling knackered before you even start!

There's usually only one of those info controls on SITD. It will be something like what is the name of the first/second pub in Appletreewick. Just remember it and write it down when you get back to HQ.
I used to worry about my bike too much so now I always drop it off at home and walk round to HQ. It takes about the same time as you guys putting your bikes in your cars.

I really want to do this but I am banjaxed at the moment with a horrible infection of the chestular region. I can't even contemplate training on my bike as I'd fall off it I'm so dizzy. Isn't it nice!
Bad luck. If you get better in time, treat yourself to the SITD slow train for once!

I don't think I can do this, shame as its a lovely route. But having a minor opp on the monday so may not have recovered..... may enter incase I have though.
If you get better in time, also treat yourself to the SITD slow train for once! ;)

Well my knees held up to 150 miles now and numerous hills and a very fast ride today so I've entered SITD. See you all on the day. I've still got my fluroscent orange "CC" letters stuck on both sides of my helmet for you to try and spot me in the crowd if you don't me.........or avoid.
The slow train will likely be starting from the back of the bunch at Salem mill so you know where to find us!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have to confess, I have been hiding under the table since this thread began. So much climbing, so much belly, so much pain. Was definitely going to give it a miss. Do you think it is possible to lose 3 stone in the next 2 weeks to make this ride bearable?

I look forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks time and cursing and swearing whilst suffering on the hills.:tongue:

Nice one steve I havent done sittd but think you will enjoy it.You only need to average about 10 mph so if you dont spend too much time in cafes etc it shouldnt be too hard.

I am doing my first 200 km audax on the same day The Carmarthenshire Snapper. I chose it because it only has 800 m of climbing which is amazing in Wales. Have spoken to people who have done it and it must be a misprint , its more like 1800 m or more :biggrin: Im still fairly happy to do it but its not going to be the doddle I thought.

potsy

Rambler
Good man! I wouldn't try any heroic weight loss in the next two weeks. You'd only leave yourself feeling knackered before you even start!

Translated as- Colin doesn't want to be the heaviest of the slow brigade so keep the belly a bit longer :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'll be joining you guys on this one. i've been suffering..erm.gastro problems at both ends and not done that much riding except commuting. i'll enter on the day and i'll be using the brompton, so not difficult to find. see you at the start.

potsy

Rambler
i'll be joining you guys on this one. i've been suffering..erm.gastro problems at both ends and not done that much riding except commuting. i'll enter on the day and i'll be using the brompton, so not difficult to find. see you at the start.
Hey, the slow group just got even slower :tongue::hello:

Beaker39

I am doing this one again. Last year was my first ever Audax and although a bit of a shock at the time it was a top top ride. Lets hope the weather is better than last years SOM :rain:

Top Bottom