England : West Yorkshire Spring Into the Dales 21st April 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbycyclist

Calderdale CTC run this audax event, a hilly 110 kilometre ride from Hebden Bridge, into the Yorkshire Dales, with a generous time limit based on a minimum speed of 12 kph and a maximum of 24 kph, with around 2300 metres of descent ;) Entry available here.

Usually around 100 riders take part, the route climbs over towards Oxenhope, Laneshaw Bridge and then takes back lanes to Earby where there is usually water, bananas and cake at the first checkpoint. A flat section takes you through to Gargrave and the Dalesman Cafe.

After this it is lanes all the way to Wharfedale before tackling a surprisingly hilly section over "Cringles" and a descent and welcome flat run in to the final control in Keighley.

Drag the legs up Cock Hill and enjoy the run down to the arrivee, where the post-ride catering is cracking. It is a friendly introduction to audax for those that want to try an event.

The CycleChat 'autobus' will be forming and taking advantage of the generous time limits to stock up on multiple breakfasts and cake. A list of possibles has already formed so sign up below.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Due to well-publicised problems, I'll be with you in spirit this year but not in body! Maybe next year, eh? :hello:

For would-be SITD newbies - most of the route is very scenic, apart from a total of about 15 km of built-up area either side of Keighley. That means you will enjoy 95 km of Pennine loveliness. It involves lots of climbing, so make sure your legs, heart, lungs and gears are up to the job, and also lots of descending so you'll need good brakes too!

This is the SITD profile!

sitd_profile-gif.19709.gif

Have fun. (And a sunny day for it!)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I like the sound of "generous time limits to stock up on multiple breakfasts and cake" not to sure about Colins "look at all the BIG hills chart" but looking forward to it.
so I'm in.

Svendo

Guru
Work rotas allowing I'll be there. The flattish second section is some of my favourite road. Oh and the gated bit before Bolton Abbey for all the cute lambs

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm in although I will be slow and don't mind getting dropped by the slow train. I'll be ecstatic if I can get round within the allowed time.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm in. I'm hoping to avoid Keighley but still obtain the stamp from the caff. Is it possible?

OP
OP
tubbycyclist

tubbycyclist

I'm in. I'm hoping to avoid Keighley but still obtain the stamp from the caff. Is it possible?
You'll have to go to Rossi's to get the stamp, and there's no easy way to avoid the drag from Ingrow. After that climb it is a nice route back. The only alternatives would be pretty hilly, and are sometimes used as rat runs anyway so not that much better - ie via Oakworth or Harden/Manywell Brow.

The few less pleasant urban miles are all in Keighley but I can live with it as it's a small price to pay for the rest of the route, which is excellent.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've looked at the possibilities, but as tc says - they are hilly!

I dreamed of taking this route one day when I got fit enough but never managed it***.

If your legs are up for it Paul, here's a much nicer way into Keighley. If you don't know this road from the Red Rose Ride then you will get a very pleasant surprise. (Check it out on Streetview and you will see what I mean.)

After climbing up to the lights in Steeton, instead of turning left and taking the B6265 through Utley, take a right, then turn left up Mill Lane after about 100 metres, then left up High Street. You have 750 metres up a steepish hill gaining about 80 metres in elevation, so just over 10%. After that though, you have a nice ride down Hollins Bank Lane and Hollins Lane then follow Spring Gardens Lane all the way down to the A629. Turn right onto that and you only have to do about 250 metres to turn left down Cavendish Street to Rossi's.

As for avoiding that horrible busy slog up to Haworth Brow ... More steep climbing I'm afraid! What I am going to propose adds about 1.5 km in distance and an extra 80 metres of climbing, some of it steep, but it brings you out at Cross Roads, just before the turn down into Haworth, so most of that horrible busy road has been bypassed!

Proceed from Rossi's to the far end of Cavendish Street, then turn right onto the A6035. After 200 metres, turn left down Coney Lane. Continue up hill under the railway line as it becomes Park Lane. You will be amazed at how quickly you climb out of the nasty bit of Keighley! Keep on climbing up into open countryside as the road becomes Shaw Lane. Eventually, the road flattens out and you come to a junction. Turn right down Gof Well Lane and follow the signs for Haworth as the road becomes Bingley Road. There is a fast descent to the A629. Turn right onto that and after 150 metres, turn left at the mini-roundabout on the A6033 and you are back on the original SITD route.

If you have the legs to tackle these variations, I think you'll find that they take out 90% of the worst bits of the route and add in some glorious views. The price you pay is another few kms in distance and about an extra 10% added to the climbing total for the ride.

Here are the profiles of the tough, scenic, quieter variation (top) and the original easy, busy part of the route through Keighley (bottom). Both between the traffic lights at Steeton and the mini-roundabout at Cross Roads.

SITD-Keighley-variation.gif

*** I tell you what - when I am well/fit enough, I'll arrange to do this modified SITD route as a forum ride! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom