England : West Yorkshire Spring Into The Dales (SITD) April 13th, 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Rossi's cafe opposite the original Cycling Club
022.jpg

I found this on the internet
"The Cycling Club was built by the Club Members who formed a limited company for the purposes of acquiring the land from Keighley Corporation & erecting the building. A subscription fund was commenced providing sufficient capital for the project to go ahead.
The club erected at an estimated cost of £3000 was opened on 2nd March 1897 (Shrove Tuesday); a local public holiday. The premises were built with a ground floor shop which is still in use to the present day. The club had previously met in rooms on Cooke Street.
A branch club was opened at Beechcliffe on 9th July 1897."

zacklaws

Guru
When I compared my records to last year, I got up that last stretch of road from Keighley and up the hill from Oxenhope two minutes quicker than last year. So what is worse, that strong wind we had yesterday or a front tyre with only 20lbs pressure in it to prevent it from splitting or was it because I was 5lbs lighter

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Great day out, on roads I've never ridden before, with fantastic scenery. Chatted with several riders on the way round in addition to the three cc ones I met at the start. Great to be able to put names to faces. Saw loads of inviting cafes, the area's obviously a bit of a honeypot, but it didn't feel overcrowded. No problem with the lift back, skud, although you probably noticed that, nobber that I am, I rejoined the motorway in the wrong direction.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a bit of a shock to see photos of my late father wearing my cycling kit and impersonating me! (He wasn't as tall as me, but the older I get, the more I look like him.)

Spot the cheapskate ... (Hint - look at my feet in DiddlyDodds' photos taken outside Rossi's! I didn't want to wear my heavy-duty neoprene overshoes but realised that my feet would be frozen if I didn't have something over my ventilated cycling shoes so I repaired my knackered old shoe covers with gaffa tape.)

We did bump into Calum and his pal a few times later on. They started an hour late but eventually caught up with us at Keighley.

It was nice to meet TEC and become reacquainted with several other CC riders.

Even though I was thoroughly knackered by the finish of the event, I am already fitter than I was before I got ill so with luck I should be able to get to a really good level of fitness if I keep doing plenty of riding.

@Steve H had to miss SITD this year because he went to a wedding yesterday.I said I would organise a similar ride as compensation for missing out. I have worked out the details now and it looks like a great 105 km ride. I will be starting a new thread about it this evening and will add a link to that here. I hope that a few of you fancy joining me and Steve.

I didn't take many photos yesterday, but here are a couple. Typically, about 30 seconds after I took these, the sun came out and the views looked splendid!

Dales Road.jpg

Skud and DiddlyDodds before Burnsall.jpg

Skud doing a trackstand; DD greeting alien lifeform - "We come in peace"! :laugh:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Great day out, on roads I've never ridden before, with fantastic scenery. Chatted with several riders on the way round in addition to the three cc ones I met at the start. Great to be able to put names to faces. Saw loads of inviting cafes, the area's obviously a bit of a honeypot, but it didn't feel overcrowded. No problem with the lift back, skud, although you probably noticed that, nobber that I am, I rejoined the motorway in the wrong direction.
I did think you might be heading back to climb some more ! Hope it did not put you out too much,i really appreciated that lift.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If you are free on Sat, 10th May and fancy riding half of the current SITD route, a bit of the original SITD route, and a couple of challenging climbs to bypass Keighley, pop over to this forum ride thread and register your interest there! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm out pesticide spraying invasive species by the River Bollin that day ! Its the only window we have due to the strict Environment Agency rules
That's the most inventive excuse I have heard for years! :laugh:

I have been out and done a 30 miler today. The good news is that I am definitely getting fitter. The bad news is that using the Cannondale's 39/29 bottom gear on steep hills has started hurting my dodgy right hip. I must buy a that triple chainset for the bike and get back to spinning lower gears.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That's the most inventive excuse I have heard for years! :laugh:

I have been out and done a 30 miler today. The good news is that I am definitely getting fitter. The bad news is that using the Cannondale's 39/29 bottom gear on steep hills has started hurting my dodgy right hip. I must buy a that triple chainset for the bike and get back to spinning lower gears.[/QUOTE
He,He.....I would love to come and ride those hills again but the chance of wearing a gimp suit and mask was too tempting !:ph34r:

Top Bottom