England : West Yorkshire Spring Into The Dales (SITD) April 13th, 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
............ with another TEC who was a stone lighter before a winter of sloth! ..........

Must be the lack of 200k rides :whistle:.

Coincidentally (or not), if you fancy a mid-week, full value, 200k permanent this month, let me know.
I can't do a calendar event in April so I'm looking at one of Mike Wigley's perms to continue my RRTY.

In other news, my BMI is currently flirting with "not overweight".
I'm not any faster though :sad:.

Back OT, I'd considered ECEing SITD but the complexity of the process put me off and the Ironbridge 207 was a more straight-forward option.
Then other things got in the way...........

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Its a great scenic road along the top to Midgley, i never get tired of looking over the edge down into the valley.
Perhaps we should regroup at the Cock Hill summit and decide before beginning the descent? I would prefer the scenic route for the views and to avoid the traffic on the main road.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Perhaps we should regroup at the Cock Hill summit and decide before beginning the descent? I would prefer the scenic route for the views and to avoid the traffic on the main road.
I rode from Pecket Well to Midgley this evening and it is definitely a nicer choice. (You can get down from Midgley to Mytholmroyd without even pedalling so you don't need to consider that when choosing which way to go.) The only reason for going via Hebden Bridge and the A646 would be if you were so exhausted that you couldn't manage the extra 80 metres of climbing, 40 metres of which are easy, and the other 40 are only moderately hard.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is there any suggestions for the cafe stop.
There is usually an event car parked near the public toilets at Earby with water, biscuits, bananas, chocolate etc. for us.

There is a checkpoint across the road from The Dalesman cafe in Gargrave so that is a possibility but I feel that it is too early in the ride to stop for food there.

We cross the Wharfe at Cavendish Pavilion which has a cafe.

There is another checkpoint at Rossi's cafe in Keighley. I feel that is too late in the ride, given that we have to do a lot of climbing straight afterwards and we have a good spread laid on at the finish

My preference would be - grab a snack at Earby. Get a stamp at Gargrave but ignore the cafe. Maybe have a cafe stop at Cav Pav? Call in at Rossi's to get a stamp, have a quick Coke or coffee there but not hang about for long. Head back and stuff our faces at event HQ!

That's just my preference though. In all the years I have done the event, I have only done it like that solo!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
My preference would be - grab a snack at Earby. Get a stamp at Gargrave but ignore the cafe. Maybe have a cafe stop at Cav Pav? Call in at Rossi's to get a stamp, have a quick Coke or coffee there but not hang about for long. Head back and stuff our faces at event HQ!
!

Cavendish Pavilion sounds good to me - @ 75km

By the way , I paid by pay pal but have not had anything through the post , is that normal, is just collect at the start line.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

By the way , I paid by pay pal but have not had anything through the post , is that normal, is just collect at the start line.
There will be a table with cards laid out for those who pre-entered.

An 18-19 mph westerly wind is forecast all day Sunday! That is going to be hard work since we only ride (vaguely) east for about 40 km of the 115 km ...

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Whats the route on this, im not doing it but will be passing through around the time.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Here is the route
upload_2014-4-11_15-43-19.png

tubbycyclist

You will have probably had an email from the organiser by now with route sheet and pick up brevet at the start - if not I am helping out at the start and sure it can be sorted.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The Met Office is suggesting 'feels like' temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees, so I will be wearing a lot of kit!

20 mph winds gusting to 40 mph ... :eek:

At least it should be dry ... ~20% risk of the odd shower AM, <5% risk of rain PM.

Low UV so no sun block needed.

Top Bottom