England : West Yorkshire Spring Into The Dales (SITD) April 13th, 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've just entered me and Mrs Uncle Phil so we'll be there. We wouldn't have been, only our tandem broke down mid-tour, so now we'll be home and fresh for this - but we won't (bar some sort of engineering/shipping miracle) be riding the tandem.

We'd quite like to at least start with the CycleChat gang, as we've never actually managed it before, so I'll PM you, Colin (since I know we've met) with my phone number in case we don't spot you).

See you there - make sure there's some cake left for us.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I seem to still have your number on my phone from a long-distant forum ride, Phil!

If I haven't found you by 08:55, I will text you, but just look for the tallish chap standing somewhere near the door to the community centre HQ. I would rather start towards the back of the bunch and overtake a few slow riders than start at the front and get blown away by most of them! :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
I seem to still have your number on my phone from a long-distant forum ride, Phil!

If I haven't found you by 08:55, I will text you, but just look for the tallish chap standing somewhere near the door to the community centre HQ. I would rather start towards the back of the bunch and overtake a few slow riders than start at the front and get blown away by most of them! :laugh:
Try to bring the correct bike this time and not have to nip home for a different one :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Try to bring the correct bike this time and not have to nip home for a different one :whistle:
That was because I was bike fettling until about 02:30 and did not have time for a test ride!

If it is dry, I am thinking of riding my Cannondale again, though I think it would be more sensible to go for the Basso's lower gears.

I'd like to meet up with some of you if poss. As my name suggests I'm normally near the back of rides. Will be on a Sabbath September.
Why don't we say CycleChatters meet by the front door of the community centre room used as event HQ at about 08:50?

I am quite tall, will be on either a blue Basso with Crud roadracer mudguards, or a red Cannondale without, and will be wearing a blue and black MET helmet with CycleChat stickers on the sides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@phil_hg_uk - if you have 1 or 2 spare tubes left, I will offer you £2.50 each for them!

I have a punctured tube to fix and it already has a few patches on so I think I will scrap it soon. I discovered a damaged spot next to the actual hole. I think the piece of metal sticking through the tyre must have caught the tube again as I pulled it out of the tyre. The damaged bit is currently airtight, but it could go at any time so I will have to patch it there too just in case.

Which reminds me ... I had to use my teeth to get the small piece of metal out of the tyre. I think I will add a pair of tweezers to the set of tools that I carry.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
As my name suggests I'm normally near the back of rides.

This is not true.
Trust me on this, I've seen TEC tearing off into the distance.
He's also a big (wide, tall) bloke so he is a very good windbreak.
DNAMHIKT :whistle: (when I can keep up that is ..........) ^_^.

I'd recommend cycling with TEC (and not just for the draughting); he's good company and he helped my moral several times on last season's RRTY :cheers:.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
@phil_hg_uk - if you have 1 or 2 spare tubes left, I will offer you £2.50 each for them!

I have a punctured tube to fix and it already has a few patches on so I think I will scrap it soon. I discovered a damaged spot next to the actual hole. I think the piece of metal sticking through the tyre must have caught the tube again as I pulled it out of the tyre. The damaged bit is currently airtight, but it could go at any time so I will have to patch it there too just in case.

Which reminds me ... I had to use my teeth to get the small piece of metal out of the tyre. I think I will add a pair of tweezers to the set of tools that I carry.

Yes I have some left but how do I get them to you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes I have some left but how do I get them to you.
Oh, aren't you coming along with me, Skud, et al on Sunday? I must have misinterpreted an earlier post ... :cry: I can wait until the next time we meet up, unless I destroy both of my current spares in the mean time.

Steve H and I have been planning a similar (but subtly different) ride for Sat, 10th May from Hebden Bridge. How about joining us for that? I will start a new thread and be cajoling @potsy about it after this weekend's ride has been tackled! :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Oh, aren't you coming along with me, Skud, et al on Sunday? I must have misinterpreted an earlier post ... :cry: I can wait until the next time we meet up, unless I destroy both of my current spares in the mean time.

Steve H and I have been planning a similar (but subtly different) ride for Sat, 10th May from Hebden Bridge. How about joining us for that? I will start a new thread and be cajoling @potsy about it after this weekend's ride has been tackled! :thumbsup:

In regards to the SITD probably not I am so busy here I have not had chance to even think about it, if I do it will be a spur of the moment thing.

You wont get @potsy on any hilly rides coz he is a wuss :giggle:

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
With his kind words Andrew Br is obviously confusing me with another TEC who was a stone lighter before a winter of sloth! Still, I guess I'm an even better windbreak now. My legs are battered after today's Monyash Peak audax, hope I recover for Sunday!

tubbycyclist

With his kind words Andrew Br is obviously confusing me with another TEC who was a stone lighter before a winter of sloth! Still, I guess I'm an even better windbreak now. My legs are battered after today's Monyash Peak audax, hope I recover for Sunday!
I recognise the name from the other place where the regular audaxers hang out so I suspect false modesty and that TEC will be seen disappearing into the distance on some huge fixed gear :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A possibility for those of you who like such things ... :whistle:

We normally bomb straight down into HB at the end of SITD then turn right to event HQ, but on Sunday we are supposed to turn left onto the A646 in HB and do 2 miles on that to Mytholmroyd. We could instead go left in Pecket Well and take the nicer scenic route via Height Rd to Midgley and then a steep descent to Mytholmroyd? Admittedly, that does involve about 80 m of extra climbing which you might not fancy ...

Top Bottom