Spring washers - a necessary evil ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
My pannier carrier is on a mission to liberate itself from my bike.

There is a limit to how much tightening torque I'm willing to apply to an M5 bolt, especially when screwed into a thread cut directly into the frame, so it occurred to me that a spring washer under each bolt head might be a better option.

Are spring washers allowed on a respectable bike, or should I hang my head in shame at the very idea?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Racks can be buggers to keep secured, being rather spindly and prone to vibration. Whenever I fitted one I either used Locktite or shake proof washers.

CXRAndy

Guru
Buy longer bolts and run through frame and fit ny-
20190217_133412.jpg
locknut on the other side. like this

There is a limit to how much tightening torque I'm willing to apply to an M5 bolt, especially when screwed into a thread cut directly into the frame, so it occurred to me that a spring washer under each bolt head might be a better option.

Are spring washers allowed on a respectable bike, or should I hang my head in shame at the very idea?
Low strength threadlock like Loctite 222

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I find ordinary washers work fine. No washers is asking for trouble.

CXRAndy

Guru
It is an idea that works for some. Fouls the rotor on my Surly DT unfortunately so I went with Locktite. Still will work loose as I found out last week.

You could get low profile ny-lock nuts, or grind down standard nuts to give the desired clearance. again a little threadlock. With a nut on the opposing side it makes undo-ing almost impossible

please show brake disc/caliper clearance photo

Last edited:
Top Bottom