Votes: 1 100.0%
  • An all rounder!

• Some of the above

• None of the above

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Imagine you're 5. You're riding your bike to the shops. Who are you? Marco Pantani? Jan Ulrich? Mark Cavendish? What type of cyclist are you in your dreams?

the sprinter - like Boonen, following a well drilled lead out train to give it all in the final 100m, the stealth sprinter staying cloaked (McEwan-like) finding the gaps before appearing with the element of surprise and nailing everyone, or Cav knowing that you can take anyone's wheel and take anyone in the last 50.

the climber - the grimpeur, majestic in the mountains; dancing on the pedals like Pantani, grindingly unstoppable like Ulrich, or do you spin like Armstong? Lung busting wars of attrition are your scene, watching the opponent for signs of stress before tightening the screw and dropping all those would be

the domestique - ah, the humble servant, the unsung hero, serving the master's needs for little recognition, no mean cyclist in your own right but playing the team role, your morning in the headlines to come courtesy of a breakaway group on an early stage of a GT.

the time trialler - the master of the 'race of truth', the king of 'contre le montre', head down, arse up, funny helmets, big gears and full power for as long as possible.

Which is it?

Me? I aspire to the climbs. My adversary is not a cyclist, it's the winding mountain road and the hairpin corners. I enjoy the momentary relief when the gradient shallows before kicking up again, letting you know it's still game on. And ultimately, the sense of satisfaction as you crest the rise. There's nothing like it for me.

monnet

Guru
Good question. I'm not really sure - I really admire the sprinters, I love watching a full on sprint with the lead out men for the likes of Boonen, Mcewen and the like flicking from wheel to wheel to get the maximum advantage. But, I'm no sprinter.

I've always fancied myself as a climber - I'm rarely overtaken on the climbs and I really enjoy them but last week on the chaingang there was one guy who had the physique of Mauricio Soler and he made me look a bit 2nd rate (as well as everyone else).

If I were to put myself into a style of cyclist it would probably be the all rounder - ok at everything but not outstanding at anything (a poor man's Bettini/Jalabert I suppose).

yenrod

I like to think of myself as an all-rounder but im good against the clock not bad uphill, can sprint but am not suicidal !!!.

Sometimes lead them out on the chainy at the end.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It needn't be what you any good at. It can be what you aspire to, or even dream of! You might be completely rubbish at it. F'rinstance, I can't climb to save myself... but it's what I enjoy most.

mondobongo

Über Member
Domestique working for the good of the Team but allowed my head occasionally to ping off the front on a solo breakaway.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like to think I'm a Grimpeuse because I can go up hills faster than the husband. However generallly I'm with Rhythmn Thief as a plodder. I'm happy plodding though.

asterix

Comrade Member
The only thing going for me is stamina. I'm certainly no sprinter - the concept of sprinting in a bunch is far too hair-raising:ohmy: - and at 80kg I don't accelerate up hills very often! However, I did the Raid Pyrenean last year quite happily with a 20kg load on the bike and usually do best relative to others when there's a nice headwind to fight or at the top of hills when they arrive knackered:evil:.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont have a clue what i am. I am good on hills, on the flat i keep up and can go at a good speed. I can sprint past people sometimes(depends where the cafe is and which one;))
I'm normally at the front at the top of hill with the rest behind or near the front taking my time.

Keith Oates

Janner
I suppose I'm an alrounder and have good and bad days in different categories but generally stay with the bunch (not the experts) and take my turn in the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Again - it's not necessarily what you are now. Or even closest to being. You might be a plodder but what would you see yourself as.

Imagine you're 5. You're riding your bike to the shops. Who are you? Marco Pantani? Jan Ulrich? Mark Cavendish? etc etc etc etc

Think dreams.

Top Bottom