Sprinting on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbez

Hi Guys,

Just watching the track world cup, and getting hooked! Haha.

What is the best way to practice sprints, could this be done on a TT?

I find the turbo boring but one of the ways I liven it up is with the odd 50+mph sprint.

Owen Burgess

Don't neglect the importance of technique, its very different sprinting on the turbo and then trying to sprint flat out on the road

iLB

Hello there
Much safer to practice sprint efforts on the turbo than on an open road though, the blurred vision kind of effort especially.

amaferanga

Veteran
Much safer to practice sprint efforts on the turbo than on an open road though, the blurred vision kind of effort especially.

Perfectly safe on the road if you find a suitable road. I would guarantee that the sort of power you can put out on a turbo will be way way down on what you can do on the road and as mentioned above, the technique will be completely different. If you're properly sprinting on the road your bike will be moving about a lot, which just doesn't happen on the turbo. So to get better at sprinting on the road, sprint on the road. If you want to be a great sprinter on the turbo, well....

iLB

Hello there
You don't mention that above? Is there quantifiable evidence to show that is true? Turbo work would certainly be more a more consistent platform for most people.

A holistic approach of physically practice sprinting on a moving bike is certainly a good idea, but if you're putting in the same effort then training benefits in terms of pure fitness is the same.

Top Bottom