Gears not shifting on turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

Hi,

I've put my road bike on the turbo trainer (Tacx flux) and I can't get it to shift up to the larger cog on the front derailleur. When I check it with the proper rear wheel on everything shifts smoothly, but it just won't shift up on the turbo (and the rear shifts OK but not as smoothly as when on the 'real' rear wheel).
The Tacx has its own rear cassette but should be exactly the same as the bike.

On a separate note, I get a lot of creaking from the bike when the turbo is on, but when it's not on there's no creaking sound at all.

Any ideas on how I can fix these issues?
TIA

On the cassette question, it's very likely that the cassette on the turbo is aligned slightly differently left-to-right than the one on your rear wheel (assuming they're both Shimano/SRAM or Campagnolo and the same number of sprockets). If that's the case, you'll just need to tweak the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur so that the chain is better aligned. [Note - turn the barrel in the direction you want to the mech to move - i.e. clockwise move it to the right].

Educated trial and error should be enough - try to get it set such that the chain is running vertically between the cassette and the derailleur jockey wheel, then adjust by a quarter-turn from there 'til it's quiet and smooth.

Failing that, check for spacers behind each cassette, and count the sprockets while you're there :smile:

Top Bottom