Squeak, squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog

Come on chaps, this isn't getting littlered to a squeak free state:biggrin:

Littlered, does it squeak when you pedal, freewheel, or both?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had one that drove me to distraction (a squeaky-tick, that is - not a butternut squash risotto). Came from the front wheel area, and only seemed to squeak once per rotation of the chainwheel, sounding like it was on the right-hand side (from my POV whilst in the saddle).

Tried everything. Regreased the bars, the bolts, cleaned out and regreased the bearings on the headset, cleaned and regreased and readjusted the hub bearings, lubed the spokes where they crossed each other...

Turned out it was one of the springs in the suspension forks; drizzled lube down past the rubber boots so it went into the forks and that solved the problem.

So - if you have suspension forks, you might want to check them out too.

And check the little rubber 'cone' which covers the hub cones on each side of the front wheel. One of mine once came a bit loose and was squeaking against the fork as the wheel rotated.

OP
OP
L

littlered

It only squeaks when I'm pedaling and going over uneven road. I also thought it was the forks and I sprayed them and no squeaking. Does this mean it neads a service? Why would they squeak?:biggrin::biggrin:

frog

It only squeaks when I'm pedaling and going over uneven road.

Squeak when pedalling and not when freewheeling looks like the drive train (Front rings, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, cassette and chain)

Squeak going over uneven ground. Hmmmm Tricky . . Looking at the above I'd start looking at the bottom bracket, cranks and pedals because you bounce upo and down on those as the bike moves under you.

Also, you can add to that the saddle and seat post because you move around on them as you pedal as well.

Does the squeak come as a series then a break then a repeat of the series? ?That's the chain. Does the squeak happen when your feet are in a certain position - like about to press down with the left or right foot? Pedals and cranks for that.

Keeping your feet still on the pedals and free wheeling down the road try bouncing slightly on the saddle to see if that's the cause. (I'll follow with a camera so the lads can analyse it later if that's OK)

Arch

Married to Night Train
"Determined to find the source of the squeak, Littlered pedalled and pedalled and listened and listened, until she finally looked up at where she was going and discovered she'd done LeJoG without knowing it..."

ChrisKH

Guru
My hack bike's got a squeak around the pedal/bracket area; was resigned to having take the whole lot apart. Only squeaks under pressure on the down pedal. Tsk.

Mind you I've just read the website suggested and a very similar squeak turned out to be a new bottle cage. Nothing new on my bike. Oh well.

OP
OP
L

littlered

frog said:
Squeak when pedalling and not when freewheeling looks like the drive train (Front rings, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, cassette and chain)

Squeak going over uneven ground. Hmmmm Tricky . . Looking at the above I'd start looking at the bottom bracket, cranks and pedals because you bounce upo and down on those as the bike moves under you.

Also, you can add to that the saddle and seat post because you move around on them as you pedal as well.

Does the squeak come as a series then a break then a repeat of the series? ?That's the chain. Does the squeak happen when your feet are in a certain position - like about to press down with the left or right foot? Pedals and cranks for that.

Keeping your feet still on the pedals and free wheeling down the road try bouncing slightly on the saddle to see if that's the cause. (I'll follow with a camera so the lads can analyse it later if that's OK)
:?::biggrin::biggrin:

If I sit right on the seat with little pressure on the handelbars no squeak:eek:

I agree I think it's my forks, But I have sat on my bike and bounced up and down no squeak :thumbsup::eek:

I sprayed some GT85 down the forks (hope thats ok) and it goes.

Blasted squeak.

I once heard a tapping while cycling to work, when I peddled fast so did the tapping and when I slowed down so would the tapping. I was cycling with my ear pointed down at the bike (like a daft numbnut), could I figure it out NO.

When I got to work it was all apparent..... it was the zip tapping on the plastic chest fastener on my ruck sack:blush::thumbsup::?::biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
Hello, this looks like a good place to ask about my squeak.

I have just picked up my new bike, and have noticed a squeak coming from the rear wheel. It is not constant, only when I get up to about 15-20mph, and continues when I stop pedalling.

I have lubed the chain up and the rear cassette, but no joy. It doesn't happen when I turn the bike upside down and spin the wheel with my hand or crank the pedals around, only when I'm riding it.

I'm going to try re-tightening the quick release later, but do you guys have any ideas what else it might be.

Thank you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So it squeeks when on the bike, pedalling or not, so long as it's moving.

Have you checked brakes - not rubbing, wheel is true, tyre seated properly. Check spokes for tightness.

Drive system is ruled out, it's likely to be wheel related. What's the condition of bearings (see question below) ?

Is the bike brand new, or new to you ? If new and bought from a shop, and you aren't too sure what you are doing, take it back.

frog

Hi redjedi, welcome to the asylum. If it's new then it's the bike shop's problem. Just take it back and tell them you have a squeak at whatever speed etc. My money is on a poorly built wheel. However, not that much money. Reseat the wheel correctly in the drop-outs but beware over tighting the QR.

redjedi

Über Member
Thanks for the advice gents ( I say gents, I have no idea what you are).
I've checked the brakes (fine) and I resat (reseated??) the wheel this afternoon, so I'll see what it's like on the way home tonight

It is a brand new Bianchi (but an older 06 model), so back to the shop it goes, if the problems still there.

A colleague at work thinks that the hubs might need re-greasing as it was probably sitting in their warehouse for a while, and the wheels don't seem to spin as freely as they should.

Top Bottom