Squeak, squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..or your pips..? They usually squeak now and again! :blush:

Hello.

Arch

Married to Night Train
redjedi said:
Thanks for the advice gents ( I say gents, I have no idea what you are).

Some of us is laydees....

Welcome, both to you and your squeak. Bear in mind that once you've solved this one, you'll hear something else. It's like a never ending circle of enlightenment, or something. Friend of mine keeps the fuel gauge on his MG not working, because he figures it's happy as long as one thing isn't working, and he can estimate when to put fuel in, and it stops something more vital breaking...:blush:

redjedi

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Have you eliminated your knees from the inquiry? :blush::smile:

One of my knees does squeak occassionally, but as the problem continues after I stop pedalling, I ruled that out straight away :biggrin:

Aperitif said:
or your pips..? They usually squeak now and again
:biggrin: sorry, what's a "pip"? (this is where I find out it is something really obvious)

Arch said:
Some of us is laydees....

Welcome, both to you and your squeak. Bear in mind that once you've solved this one, you'll hear something else. It's like a never ending circle of enlightenment, or something. Friend of mine keeps the fuel gauge on his MG not working, because he figures it's happy as long as one thing isn't working, and he can estimate when to put fuel in, and it stops something more vital breaking...xx(

My apologies Madame, thank you for the welcome.
I wouldn't mind a different noise, as long as it doesn't make my shiny new bike sound like an old wheel barrow. :smile:

up-date: Last night I removed the wheels and cleaned and lubricated the skewers, adjusted the rear brake and re-aligned the mudguards.
Still squeaking this morning.

I then had a brainwave, and I think the problem might be with the mudguards. They are the SKS raceblades, but they were only held on with the rubber bands. I have now fitted the cable ties on top of these, to stop them moving around. Fingers crossed that my commute home is a quiet one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
redjedi said:
:blush: sorry, what's a "pip"? (this is where I find out it is something really obvious)

I think Aperitif will have been referring to the term 'pipsqueak', often applied to a small or jumped up person. I think it also might come from the term used to suggest wringing the very greatest value out of something - squeezing it (as in to get juice from an orange) until the pips squeak...

redjedi

Über Member
Thats what I thought he meant, but it still doesn't make much sense.:blush:

Perhaps I need to spend a bit more time on here and get accustomed to the humour used on this board. :biggrin:

http://racheljoyce.blogspot.com/2007/10/brown-taxes-are-starting-to-make-pips.html

Hello redjedi - just a turn of phrase...NOT for one minute saying you're a "small or jumped up person" (plenty of those in the café :biggrin:) - another example above.

Your bike is definitely seedless. There are no pips. There will be plenty of tips. No shoulders with chips, and stories of trips.

On a serious note - the raceblades can be a source of noise...does your velo squeak when you park up? :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
elastic bands?

I like a bodge myself but elastic bands and sunlight don;t go well together imho

the pips were nads surely?

redjedi

Über Member
I have finally worked out what is causing the squeaks. It appears to be the hubs.

The wheels don't move as freely as they should (according to a mate at work). I took the front wheel off to inspect it and when I turn it with my fingers it feels very "grindy" and not at all smooth.

We think it could be that the grease has dried out, as it is a 2006 model which has probably been sitting in their warehouse for a while.

So I am off work tomorrow and I will take it back to Evans for them to fix.

Not a good first experience with Evans or with my first real bike. :biggrin: But I still love my Bianchi.

Aperitif said:
Hello redjedi - just a turn of phrase...NOT for one minute saying you're a "small or jumped up person" (plenty of those in the café :biggrin:) -

:biggrin: I am anything but small, but getting smaller by the week

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Maybe your hubs weren't assembled correctly in the first place? The hubs on my Galaxy haven't been touched since 2003(by myself) and they still run perfectly with no play or noise.

Top Bottom