squeaking from fork area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
A day after commuting in heavy rain (about 4/5 days ago) there was this squeaking noise that came from the fork area on the bike.

Last night I took the fork off and cleaned out both gritty sets of headset bearings with some GT85 and a rag - re-greased (not too heavily mind you) with finish line teflon grease and re-assembled. One of the ball bearings on the top set of bearings was loose - I put this back in when I regreased but it wouldn't attach to the holder. Didn't have a set of bearings to replace it with and needed the bike for the commute today.

Started off this morning nice and quiet but about 5 miles into my commute the squeaking began again.

Any ideas?

Should I replace both sets of bearings - no dints in the balls.

Is there anything else that could be causing the squeaking? Perhaps some minor lubrication of the screw in the top cap?

At a loss really!!

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
ttcycle said:
A day after commuting in heavy rain (about 4/5 days ago) there was this squeaking noise that came from the fork area on the bike.

Last night I took the fork off and cleaned out both gritty sets of headset bearings with some GT85 and a rag - re-greased (not too heavily mind you) with finish line teflon grease and re-assembled. One of the ball bearings on the top set of bearings was loose - I put this back in when I regreased but it wouldn't attach to the holder. Didn't have a set of bearings to replace it with and needed the bike for the commute today.

Started off this morning nice and quiet but about 5 miles into my commute the squeaking began again.

Any ideas?

Should I replace both sets of bearings - no dints in the balls.

Is there anything else that could be causing the squeaking? Perhaps some minor lubrication of the screw in the top cap?

At a loss really!!

Try the easy things first, it may be the gear or brake outer casing, turn bars and hold cables and see if it stops, if possible try a different front wheel, if that stops the noise then check spoke tension (which in fairness will sound more like a creak if they are lose) or more likely the rubber seal that may be used in the hub.

Also make sure the seals in the headset are not the cause.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom