Squeaky Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
My Brompton S6L just over a week and 150 miles old, is squeaking like no-one's business. It started on day 2!
It also seems to be worse, the warmer the temperature - taking it round London on sunny Saturday afternoon, it was certainly turning heads in a way no brand new bike should.

The LBS it came from had a quick look, took it round the block and concurred, but without a mechanic in attendance on Saturday were unable to diagnose further. We think it's the supension block, not the BB, as the problem occurs either pedalling or coasting and seems to come from that area, and not a pedal or a wheel.

Anyone come across this before and have any solutions/ideas, please?

Every few years I have to undo the bolt holding the suspension block, grease and refit.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It could be the suspension block. I had a horrible squeaking, creaking noise. At first I thought it was the pivot holding the rear triangle to main frame, but I also greased and tightened up the suspension block and the noise went away.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i had exactly the same problem, someone told me about the suspension block and i just lubed with a bit of oil and it stopped squeaking. i wish i had known before i stripped it (the brommie). the noise sounded like rusty bed springs!! have you joined the yahoo brompton group? it's a great place for brommie specific advice

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
shauncollier said:
the noise sounded like rusty bed springs!! have you joined the yahoo brompton group? it's a great place for brommie specific advice
Rusty bed springs is a very accurate description - cheers!

Tried to join that Yahoo group a fortnight ago and I'm still waiting for their acceptance email - you have to explain precisely why you wish to join. I guess in case they believe you want to post subversive stuff?

Top Bottom