Squeeking disk brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

groundy74

I have recently acquired a wonderful squeeking/screeching sound from the brakes when applied fully and wondered if anyone had any tips on what I can do before taking it to the local bike shop. I have tried wipe down the discs and giving the bike and wheels a thorough clean that reduces the noise for the first pull or two on the levers and then back to the loud screech.

CXRAndy

Guru
My own experience, is to change pads. Clean the rotors with alcohol or car disc brake cleaner. It it still persists, then using cheap more slotted rotors has helped my set up to almost eliminate squeaks

I find Shimano pads and their Ice tech rotors particularly noisy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the pads aren't glazed too. My missus bike has done this - new pads, but absolutely no heavy braking, and the pads glazed over (MTB). Sanded the front pads off, and all is well.

If you've had the bike a while it could be contamination, so through clean of the discs and then replace the pads.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have tried loads of different disc brake pads over the years. In my experience, the quietest ones are DiscoBrakes Semi Metallic pads.

si_c

Guru
As said above, it's usually contaminator and/or pad glazing. You can fix this by cleaning the pads and rotors using a disc brake cleaner (basically isopropyl alcohol), and you can remove any glazing with a fine metal file, this usually sorts the problem out.

Of course changing pads and cleaning the rotors is an effective measure too, I find that organic pads are quieter but they don't last as long - semi-metallic pads are a good compromise as @ianrauk said. Metallic pads seem to last longer, but are often noisier.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The pads may be contaminated with oil or brake fluid. If the brake makes a horrible juddering sqwawk as you roll to a stop it's contaminated. Put the pads in the dishwasher, clean the rotor with IPA or hot soapy water or any other solvent, and if the problem persists try filing a chamfer on the "leading" edge of the brake pad.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My own experience, is to change pads. Clean the rotors with alcohol or car disc brake cleaner. It it still persists, then using cheap more slotted rotors has helped my set up to almost eliminate squeaks

I find Shimano pads and their Ice tech rotors particularly noisy

I can't argue you with your experiences but mine are the complete opposite.

Ice Tech Rotors + Shimano resin pads and they don't screech even when wet and grubby.

Top Bottom