squeeling brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
While out yesterday I rode with another group for a while and one of the riders had very very noisy brakes . It was almost a high pitched whistle . At first I thought there was something wrong but they even made the same scream when he was hanging about waiting for the rest of his group .
Is there some noisy brake pads you can now buy ? Not that I want them as is was horrible :wacko:

Pads probably hitting the rims flat. Should be angled so the front part hits the rim aournd 1mm before the rest.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sometimes cantilever brakes can be difficult to keep quiet.

I use soft pads and toe them in a lot on my steel tourer and they are still not silent.

Can be usefull as seem to attract much more attention than ringing a bell.^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
You lot don't keep in touch with cycling technology, do you?

Expensive Mavic rims now have a file-pattern texture in the braking track that makes a squealing noise like a tyre skidding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just re-set the pads against the rims, trapping a piece of folded cornflakes packet flap behind the trailing edges of the brake pads so as to leave them toed-in. Obviously remove the cardboard before riding....

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just re-set the pads against the rims, trapping a piece of folded cornflakes packet flap behind the trailing edges of the brake pads so as to leave them toed-in. Obviously remove the cardboard before riding....
Cornflake packets are for flickers and nothing else . Its the law !

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cornflake packets are for flickers and nothing else . Its the law !
I hear that the Frosties boxes are grrrreat, though.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm still not sure if this was unfettled brake pads , I know that sound . This wasn't it and consistent no matter what the speed . Like an alarm .

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You lot don't keep in touch with cycling technology, do you?

Expensive Mavic rims now have a file-pattern texture in the braking track that makes a squealing noise like a tyre skidding.

Must admit I havent come across these yet.

Any evidence of improved braking or just a marketing ploy?

Top Bottom