Squirtable food. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There seems to be a creeping, deeply unpleasant tendency for sauces to come in squirtable form. Mustard was the first to go, followed by mint sauce. Presumably it's a great wheeze for the manufacturers because they can claim that they need to add more water to make their stuff runny. I went to get a pot of Marmite earlier this evening. That's gone squirtable too. There's a repulsive rubber sphincter on the nozzle.

Is there any way of fighting back against this trend? I know that kindergarten pupils like squirty food, but do we all have to be subjected to this infantilism?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Heinz EZ Squirt Funky Purple Ketchup. From the 90's
Heinz EZ Squirt Funky Purple Ketchup.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Chef-Brown-Sauce-290g-Bottle-500x500.jpg

Brown sauce of the Gods.

But if the bottle is half empty it is almost impossible to put a dollop on your chips and you will be sitting thumping the bottom of the bottle and wishing you had bought something in a squeezy bottle!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Squirty golden syrup is less messy than the tins and easier to measure out when baking with it.

Just saying....

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Chef-Brown-Sauce-290g-Bottle-500x500.jpg

Brown sauce of the Gods.

But if the bottle is half empty it is almost impossible to put a dollop on your chips and you will be sitting thumping the bottom of the bottle and wishing you had bought something in a squeezy bottle!

I don't count that as squirtable. It's got a decent-sized neck, not a miserable hole.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That aerosol cream IS full of air. If you leave it for a while it breaks down into something like cream mixed into water. The nozzle also has to be washed after use. If you don't, the next time you use it you'll find the nozzle full of black fungus.xx(

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't count that as squirtable. It's got a decent-sized neck, not a miserable hole.

That's the point. It is a glass bottle (although now available in squirtable ones). It is a very thick sauce and very nice but almost impossible to get it out of the bottle. The squirtable bottles are much easier to use so have become more popular so I consider it progress (although the glass one can be recycled/re-used).

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's the point. It is a glass bottle (although now available in squirtable ones). It is a very thick sauce and very nice but almost impossible to get it out of the bottle. The squirtable bottles are much easier to use so have become more popular so I consider it progress (although the glass one can be recycled/re-used).
Yebbut, if they have to alter the sauce to make it more runny so it can squeeze out of a miserably small hole, surely that's a step too far?

Top Bottom