Squirtable food. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've a soft spot for Primula on Ritz crackers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But if the bottle is half empty it is almost impossible to put a dollop on your chips and you will be sitting thumping the bottom of the bottle and wishing you had bought something in a squeezy bottle!
1. thump the side a few times in between thumping the bottom, or if it's close, hold the bottom and swing it side-to-side neck-down (edit: with the lid on!)

2. use a clean knife to drag it out.

For some reason I keep thinking of Miss Goodbody whenever someone mentions squirty golden syrup. Help me! :cry:
Maybe @Fnaar can help with that mental image? I think Miss Goodbody might be a bit tied up right now.

Never buy honey in a squirty container; it's ok when it's runny, but it inevitably goes hard once you start to use it.
Same with golden syrup unless you use it quicker than I do. Nasty stuff anyway. Most other syrups taste better and don't crystallise so easily.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
1. thump the side a few times in between thumping the bottom, or if it's close, hold the bottom and swing it side-to-side neck-down (edit: with the lid on!)

Mrs C got covered in Mary Berry Salad Dressing once when I took it out of the fridge and shook it without checking whether the last user had put the top on properly.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
IMG_20161109_121809.jpg

Squirty food is easier for clowns....

wonderloaf

Veteran
Chef-Brown-Sauce-290g-Bottle-500x500.jpg

Brown sauce of the Gods.

But if the bottle is half empty it is almost impossible to put a dollop on your chips and you will be sitting thumping the bottom of the bottle and wishing you had bought something in a squeezy bottle!

75980412_heinz-daddies-brown-fop-label-400g.ashx.png

Sorry it's got to be Daddies brown sauce, available in a squirty bottle if you feel that way inclined.

None of that poncy HP stuff in our house (lights blue touch paper and stands back!).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yebbut, if they have to alter the sauce to make it more runny so it can squeeze out of a miserably small hole, surely that's a step too far?
I'm not convinced they do.

I've just spooned some syrup from a tin, into an empty ketchup bottle...amd it squirted just fine.

(this might be a lie but you fell for it right)

Id assume the same for marmite, ketchup, mayo or even something as vulgar as brown sauce.

Not convinced the product is any different, can you imagine the production costs of making a new batch or even adding another agent.

J

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm not convinced they do.

I've just spooned some syrup from a tin, into an empty ketchup bottle...amd it squirted just fine.

(this might be a lie but you fell for it right)

Id assume the same for marmite, ketchup, mayo or even something as vulgar as brown sauce.

Not convinced the product is any different, can you imagine the production costs of making a new batch or even adding another agent.

J
We need @Fab Foodie!

U

User482

Yebbut, if they have to alter the sauce to make it more runny so it can squeeze out of a miserably small hole, surely that's a step too far?

Sauces like ketchup are thixotropic - they become less viscous and will flow better when subjected to stress (e.g. you shake the bottle), returning to their more viscous state once the stress is removed. They also display a minimum yield stress below which they will not flow.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sauces like ketchup are thixotropic - they become less viscous and will flow better when subjected to stress (e.g. you shake the bottle), returning to their more viscous state once the stress is removed. They also display a minimum yield stress below which they will not flow.
I don't have a beef with ketchup, but mustard, mint sauce and Marmite are a bit different, surely? They work perfectly well in wide-mouthed containers.

U

User482

I don't have a beef with ketchup, but mustard, mint sauce and Marmite are a bit different, surely? They work perfectly well in wide-mouthed containers.
Mint sauce obliterates the flavour of whatever it is applied to, and Marmite is re-packaged fish food. I struggle to contain my indifference on the subject of how they are contained.

Top Bottom