Squirtable food. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have to say it's the Lidl "Batts" ketchup here. It won a blind taste test on "Eat Well For Less" last year and yes, it's much nicer than the Heinz. It does come in a squeezy bottle tho. We don't like brown sauce here, prefer BBQ sauce. Most BBQ sauces tend to be pretty well much of a muchness, so I buy whatever's on offer.

But things like jam, marmite, mustard - that's gotta come out of a jar.

Generally when it comes to jam, marmalade, fruit butter, chutney and such, it's all homemade here, for the most part made fruit from the garden. Can't remember the last time I went and *bought* a jar... Mint sauce - there are two versions here. One made with fresh mint from the garden, sugar and vinegar, the other made as a jelly using bramleys, fresh mint, sugar and my secret ingredient, a couple of peppermint tea bags.

[QUOTE 4605510, member: 259"]I've never seen the point of it either, unless you're a 16th century Jack Tar in danger of scurvey.[/QUOTE]
Not a fan myself, and it won't do much for scurvy as heat destroys vitamin c.

Just googled it and to meet your daily (US) RDA of vitamin c, you'd need to eat most of a medium orange or 1.25kg of marmalade. And at that stage your gums may be ok, but your teeth wouldn't be.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not a fan myself, and it won't do much for scurvy as heat destroys vitamin c.

Just googled it and to meet your daily (US) RDA of vitamin c, you'd need to eat most of a medium orange or 1.25kg of marmalade. And at that stage your gums may be ok, but your teeth wouldn't be.
Strangely enough, citrus fruits are pretty rubbish as a source of vitamin C, if this article is anything to go by.
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

I'm not sure if you have to eat kale raw to get the benefit. If so, oranges look quite attractive.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4605525, member: 259"]But you're probably not in imminent danger of your teeth dropping out so personally I'd stick with the marmite![/QUOTE]
Sticking things together is probably the best use of Marmite.

Reactions: srw

keithmac

Guru
Poached eggs on toast are transformed with a smear of Marmite on the toast ;)..

Can see the squirty mustard going horribly wrong, I like a decent wipe on my sarnies but due to the useless metering of the cap you could end up with half a bottle on your full english...

U

User482

A Fridays contingent witnessed a somewhat inebriated man attempting to squirt chilli sauce on his noodles in the early hours of Sunday morning. Dissatisfied with his progress, he then decided to unscrew the lid with predictable consequences. Undeterred, he ate the lot: we wondered if he would subsequently be playing Ring of Fire.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh the shame @Hill Wimp....

IMG_6150.JPG

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
My life is apparently about to be documented I do apologise.

The problem with that isn't it's squeezableness it's this

Water, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Maize Starch, Sugar, Pasteurised Free Range Egg & Egg Yolk (4%), Salt, Rapeseed Oil, CreamPowder, Citrus Fibres, Colours (Titanium Dioxide, Carotenes), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Flavourings (contain Milk), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA)

Seriously, at what point is this stuff no longer allowed to be called mayonnaise? Mayonnaise is an emulsion of egg yolks and olive oil, with some mustard, acid and salt for taste. This is white goop.

There seems to be a creeping, deeply unpleasant tendency for sauces to come in squirtable form. Mustard was the first to go, followed by mint sauce. Presumably it's a great wheeze for the manufacturers because they can claim that they need to add more water to make their stuff runny. I went to get a pot of Marmite earlier this evening. That's gone squirtable too. There's a repulsive rubber sphincter on the nozzle.

Is there any way of fighting back against this trend? I know that kindergarten pupils like squirty food, but do we all have to be subjected to this infantilism?
Douglas Adams

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The problem with that isn't it's squeezableness it's this

Water, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Maize Starch, Sugar, Pasteurised Free Range Egg & Egg Yolk (4%), Salt, Rapeseed Oil, CreamPowder, Citrus Fibres, Colours (Titanium Dioxide, Carotenes), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Flavourings (contain Milk), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA)

Seriously, at what point is this stuff no longer allowed to be called mayonnaise? Mayonnaise is an emulsion of egg yolks and olive oil, with some mustard, acid and salt for taste. This is white goop.

colour titanium oxide - that's the most important ingrediant in paint. Granted it's non toxic, but paint ffs...

Top Bottom