Squishy saddle or squishy pants?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I can quite happily go out for a long ride (50+ miles) in jeans on a saddle with minimal padding, you don't need the padded shorts or saddle, it's just a case of what you get used to. I find that if I ride a lot in "regular" clothing then when I come to do a much longer ride and wear the expected attire then I can go pretty much all day with no discomfort.
When you say "YOU don't need padded shorts".....you mean in your case.
Even as a kid, in assembly, I couldn't sit on the wooden floor.....my bum/sit bones just won't allow it.
Personally I NEED padded shorts or I am in agony.

OldShep

Über Member
I think the pad being thick/absorbent/padded(!) is a different issue, and will have evolved as materials changed over the years (it was chamois leather in the early days I believe?)
Surely Chamois leather is one of the most natural absorbent materials out there.

OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

All interesting stuff - it’s interesting that some can withstand very long rides with no padding! If I wear padded shorts it tends to be under something else - I’m convinced by comments here to go without for a while and see what state I’m in! I like the idea of seamless underwear - makes a lot of sense. I think I was probably ’told’ when I first started that riding without them is a bad idea, and just stuck with it without particularly questioning the wisdom of it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
^^^^^^^+1
I got fed up of wearing holes in decent Jeans by cycling in em, shorts are far cheaper.
That sounds like buying expensive jeans and cheap shorts, then.

Cycling short spandex also seems to fail oddly, going see-through when stretched instead of forming obvious holes like worn-out ordinary trousers.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That sounds like buying expensive jeans and cheap shorts, then.

Cycling short spandex also seems to fail oddly, going see-through when stretched instead of forming obvious holes like worn-out ordinary trousers.
Nah I've got a few pairs of Milano (Bianchi) shorts which though inexpensive are very good quality, not gone 'see through' yet. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom