SRAM - A little bit crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve got SRAM XO shifters, rear mech and SRAM Level TLM disc brakes on my S Works MTB and I really rate it. The XO shifters are beautifully engineered.

robgul

Legendary Member
Is that so - I don't think 11 speed Rival on retail is any cheaper than Shimano 105 (the equivalent)? SRAM cassettes cost more too (or maybe there are less reductions). It's certainly far harder to find an off the peg road bike with non 1x10/11 SRAM than one with Tiagra / Shimano 105 / Ultegra

Trade/wholesale/volume purchase and SRAM is significantly less than Shimano comparables fro most ranges - that may be partly as Shimano is restrictive in where and to whom it sells (when it can do so). SRAM distribution has just been announced by Raleigh with increased LBS/dealer margins.

Rob

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
..... SRAM kit is predominantly somewhat cheaper than Shimano - that's both at retail and wholesale/trade. Perhaps that's why almost all the PlanetX machines are now SRAM equipped?

Having serviced loads of bikes at the LBS, and test ridden, the whole Shimano hierarchy of groupsets seems better than anything SRAM. That said SRAM chains are pretty good in terms of life and value for money.

Rob

The manager of my local bike shop would agree with you.

The SRAM stuff they see, which is probably lower end, is cheap and plasticky compared to Shimano.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
When I brought the bike I was under the impression that SRAM and Shimano were matched competitors like Coke and Pepsi, HP and Dell, BMW and Audi etc but it seems SRAM are more like Asda own brand, despite the image they like to project.

I can put up with slightly agricultural gear changes but 6 months brake pad wear is not acceptable, especially when I've had more braking power from rim brakes.

Kernow_T

Über Member
When I brought the bike I was under the impression that SRAM and Shimano were matched competitors like Coke and Pepsi, HP and Dell, BMW and Audi etc but it seems SRAM are more like Asda own brand, despite the image they like to project.

I can put up with slightly agricultural gear changes but 6 months brake pad wear is not acceptable, especially when I've had more braking power from rim brakes.
Ouch

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

You posted the brakes as 'techno', did you mean Tektro?

Not that I'm familiar with either.

A cost effective solution would be to replace the front with Shimano, either calliper only or calliper and lever.

A lot of the likely suspects in this Wiggle link are unavailable, but it gives you an idea of what you might be able to track down.

I had to replace a trekking XT calliper.

Finding one was not as straightforward as I thought it would be.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano/disc-brake-callipers/

vickster

Legendary Member
I have TRP Spyre calipers with my SRAM Rival shifters on both bikes (not sure I knew SRAM 22 had Rival calipers or is it a 1x11 set up).
I've never worn a brake pad out

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My ICE trike has SRAM shifters back and front. On a trike I find I do a lot more shifting gears than my bikes mebbe because I have not yet got Trike legs. Shifting seems good to me.

Not been impressed with SRAM road hydro brakes (clearance is a pain and master cylinder issues abound) but always liked double-tap shifting. Like it even more now I’ve sensation/dexterity issues in both hands. In terms of quality and durability, while some SRAM stuff can feel a bit house-of-mouse I don’t think there’s much in it in real world use/longevity. WIll take shimano BBs over GXP any day though as GXP seem to be made of cheese!

Johnno260

Veteran
Prefer Shimano, I have 105 5800 and would love the newer R7000.

My Ribble has Campy Veloce and while the gear shifting is a little clunky it’s bombproof and I like the shifters, braking is really good as too.

Gunk

Guru
Prefer Shimano, I have 105 5800 and would love the newer R7000.

My Ribble has Campy Veloce and while the gear shifting is a little clunky it’s bombproof and I like the shifters, braking is really good as too.

I’ve got 5800 on my BMC, great groupset, lovely precision feel to it.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
I should apologise to SRAM, (a bit). I was wrong, the pads had not worn out, but the pistons had partially seized - front and back. Not good.
This video was very helpful.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-talks-fixing-sticky-pistons-park-tool--video.html

The brakes seem much better than new now, I can actually lock the back wheel, something that was impossible before. In the past I was very gentle on my brakes, I now decided to be brutal once a day to keep the performance up.

Top Bottom