sram bb30 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I purchased a 12mm hex key and can't for life of me get the bolt to turn. Have had a shiny FSA K Force light chainset sat in a box for about 3 months and can't make it to my LBS apart from Saturdays (when I am out on the bike) :sad:
The original bearings do sometimes make a clanking noise under extreme load, so I plan to ask the LBS to switch them out with the ceramic ones that came with the chainset... when I finally get around to taking it in, that is!

Howard

^ which chainset are you removing?

If it's a two piece single bolt design like Gossamers / SRAM etc make a 'cheater' using some pipe to improve the leverage you can apply. It will back-off in the end. I've used a large adjustable spanner as a cheater before - not ideal but it works.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I purchased a 12mm hex key and can't for life of me get the bolt to turn. Have had a shiny FSA K Force light chainset sat in a box for about 3 months and can't make it to my LBS apart from Saturdays (when I am out on the bike) :sad:
The original bearings do sometimes make a clanking noise under extreme load, so I plan to ask the LBS to switch them out with the ceramic ones that came with the chainset... when I finally get around to taking it in, that is!

You are turning it the right way aren't you? Mine took some removing tbh, scratched my head a bit then went with brute force!

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
FSA Gossamer pro with a stupid locking cap over the bolt:sad:
are ur sure the cap is not there to remove the crank as the bolt comes out? ie u undo the bolt and it pushes against the cap and that pushes the crank off. i only ask because i looked silly when trying to remove mine, but it wasrnt the same kit as yours

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
^ which chainset are you removing?

If it's a two piece single bolt design like Gossamers / SRAM etc make a 'cheater' using some pipe to improve the leverage you can apply. It will back-off in the end. I've used a large adjustable spanner as a cheater before - not ideal but it works.

FSA Omega compact. I tried placing a seatpost and attached saddle over the end of the Hex handle for extra leverage but I guess my diet is lacking in spinach...

You are turning it the right way aren't you? Mine took some removing tbh, scratched my head a bit then went with brute force!

Dunno - lol
Nah, I am turning the right way, according to the research I did. I thought I heard a small click sound once but don't want to force it or wack it with anything... putting quite a lot of pressure on it as it is and can't budge the fecker.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Brute force wins. It would loosen off then after 1 1/2 turns ish would start to bind again(which was scaring me tbh)

Tis off now and ready to be cleaned and regreased :laugh: Good thing too, I covered it in high 5 2-1 earlier thanks to a fly!

Howard

Brute force wins. It would loosen off then after 1 1/2 turns ish would start to bind again(which was scaring me tbh)

It tightens up again because the crank bolt starts pushing against the extractor bolt, and this in turn starts pushing the crank off the spindle's interference fit.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It tightens up again because the crank bolt starts pushing against the extractor bolt, and this in turn starts pushing the crank off the spindle's interference fit.
:shy: at least I now know Vitus don't like putting ANY grease on the axle on assembly.

Good excuse to check the MTB too I guess :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
FSA Omega compact. I tried placing a seatpost and attached saddle over the end of the Hex handle for extra leverage but I guess my diet is lacking in spinach...
Dunno - lol
Nah, I am turning the right way, according to the research I did. I thought I heard a small click sound once but don't want to force it or wack it with anything... putting quite a lot of pressure on it as it is and can't budge the fecker.

well, well, well, a few months ago you'd just have needed to lean on it...see the problems this weight loss is causing you!

Top Bottom