Sram brake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Does anyone know what this part of the brake is for? It doesn't do much.

Attachments

• SRAM.JPG
    SRAM.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 87

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It looks like it doesn't do anything.

Citius

It's a cam-lever. You undo it when you want to take the wheel out and it spaces out the brake blocks so you can drop the wheel without it catching on the brakes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's better now you've added the picture the picture!

It's the quick release for the calipers. Flick it up and they will open to allow easier wheel removal. Don't forget to close it again after refitting the wheel.
It's also a useful 'get you home' device, if you pick up a buckle while out on the road...

+1 to both of these. :becool:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
As stated above, dont forget to tighten it up again after you've put the wheel back..
Especially if you've just fixed a front wheel puncture at the top of a steep hill in the rain........... Don't ask me how I know this is important :smile:

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I honestly thought this was a wind up. Sorry for doubting you @Andywinds and thanks for reminding me that information I take for granted may not be as widespread as I think amongst others.
No worries, when I first got the bike I just ignored it. Now I've tried it it makes perfect sense! When I've removed the wheels before for cleaning I always struggles with getting the it off past the brakes!

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

As stated above, dont forget to tighten it up again after you've put the wheel back..
Especially if you've just fixed a front wheel puncture at the top of a steep hill in the rain........... Don't ask me how I know this is important :smile:
Yes I have a knack of being forgetful :ohmy:. As long as I don't rush I will be ok.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

The brake will still work with the cam open - but the lever travel will be longer, that's all...
How long has this feature been around for? Wow it must be a while because it's on the old borrowed Vanquish with Sora brakes!

Top Bottom