Sram Dub Compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Hello! After a bit of advice, I think I've cracked it but I'm second guessing myself.

I've recently purchased a new bike that has come with a SRAM SX crankset and what I believe to be a powerspline BB. The frame itself (A Kona Unit X) is advertised as having a 73mm dub BB. I'm replacing the crankset this weekend as the SX seems to be made of cheese and I'm done arguing with the shop about it. Whilst I'm down there I'm going to replace the powerspline BB with something a bit more robust - open ended BBs don't last long round these parts.

Am I safe to assume I can replace it with any Sram Dub 73mm BB? For example, one of these? https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...cket-sram-dub-bsa/rp-prod187151?mx01=a&mx02=a

It's a blummin minefield this!

Appreciate any help!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think so - you need the new chainset to be compatible with your new ( nukeproof) BB and the BB to be same thread / size as existing. is the existing 68/73mmm english thread, as that is what the potential new is you've linked to?

find out what BB is on the bike at moment, then google its spec/dimensions.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I think so - you need the new chainset to be compatible with your new ( nukeproof) BB and the BB to be same thread / size as existing. is the existing 68/73mmm english thread, as that is what the potential new is you've linked to?

find out what BB is on the bike at moment, then google its spec/dimensions.

Yeah you're following my logic. Frustratingly there doesn't seem to be any information on what the BB currently is, I'm using a process of elimination based on the fact SX cranks are compatible with powerspline and it's an "internal" bb with no external cups, therefore must be powerspline, right?!

I'm replacing with SRAM NX, which whilst not a mighty blingy upgrade, I've used before with perfectly adequate results.

Top Bottom