SRAM Force 22 Crank Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaAnTr

Hi,

I'm unsure of what tools I need to remove my crank (just one as I've bought a Stages power meter).
I've googled it and have seen people saying I need a 16mm allen key but that doesn't seem right to me.
Here's some pictures:

IMG_20170322_173344.jpg

IMG_20170322_173413.jpg

The writing says:
8mm = 48 - 54nm
10mm = 12 - 15nm

Does this mean I just need an 8mm or a 10mm allen key and that's it?

Thanks!

Pumpman

The Allen screw is visible, so you should be able to measure across the flats to find out the required key size - or try a few to see which fits best.
The information written there is the required tightening torque settings (in Newton-metres and Foot-pounds force). The 8mm and 10mm size should normally refer to the screw thread size, rather than the across flats size of the ley/socket.
I do not know why there are two sizes or why there is a higher torque setting for the smaller screw size. Is there perhaps a larger diameter dust cap, covering the main (smaller diameter) main screw?

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

The Allen screw is visible, so you should be able to measure across the flats to find out the required key size - or try a few to see which fits best.
The information written there is the required tightening torque settings (in Newton-metres and Foot-pounds force). The 8mm and 10mm size should normally refer to the screw thread size, rather than the across flats size of the ley/socket.
I do not know why there are two sizes or why there is a higher torque setting for the smaller screw size. Is there perhaps a larger diameter dust cap, covering the main (smaller diameter) main screw?
Unfortunately I have neither an 8 or 10mm allen key. Is it likely I'll need any other tools or will the allen keys be enough?

Pumpman

You will probably be able to measure the across flats size by just putting a tape or rule across it.
I have no experience of this particular crank, but I think they are all very similar. I have removed others with a crank removal tool. This screwed into the crank, usually into a thread that is revealed by unscrewing a cap/cover. There is then a centre "pin", which is then screwed through the extractor to press against the axle, pushing the crank off. I am pretty sure that is the tool you need. It is not expensive and you should be able to buy one in most most bike shops.

Hi,

I'm unsure of what tools I need to remove my crank (just one as I've bought a Stages power meter).
I've googled it and have seen people saying I need a 16mm allen key but that doesn't seem right to me.
Here's some pictures:

View attachment 343616

View attachment 343617

The writing says:
8mm = 48 - 54nm
10mm = 12 - 15nm

Does this mean I just need an 8mm or a 10mm allen key and that's it?

Thanks!
Others have already said it is a self-extracting crank. Here's how it works. Put an 8mm Allen Key in the bolt and turn anti-clockwise. At first it will crack loose, then turn easy and then tighten up again. Keep on turning. It will now start to pull the crank off by magic. Self-extractors are clever. They prevent the bolt from coming out so instead, it pushes the bike off the crank.

All you need is a single 8mm, nothing else. Same for putting it back on.

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

Others have already said it is a self-extracting crank. Here's how it works. Put an 8mm Allen Key in the bolt and turn anti-clockwise. At first it will crack loose, then turn easy and then tighten up again. Keep on turning. It will now start to pull the crank off by magic. Self-extractors are clever. They prevent the bolt from coming out so instead, it pushes the bike off the crank.

All you need is a single 8mm, nothing else. Same for putting it back on.

Perfect, thanks! Just bought an 8mm allen key of Amazon so will be able to try it tonight.

OP
OP
J

JaAnTr

Just tried it and the Allen key fits but it's too tight to turn, I've even tried hitting it but it just won't turn. Any ideas?

Just tried it and the Allen key fits but it's too tight to turn, I've even tried hitting it but it just won't turn. Any ideas?
Is it too tight from the word go or after it became loose, then tight again?

IIRC the bolt is aluminium, which means it is a bastard to "break" loose at first.

Top Bottom