SRAM Klickbox cable change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have any tips for changing the cable on a SRAM klickbox? I've understood the principle, and the shifter gave little trouble but I'm having trouble dealing with the tension when I try to wind the cable in. Has anyone dealt with this and worked out a solution that doesn't require lots of swearing or three thumbs?

Big John

Guru
Hi Andy. I take it you've looked at YouTube. I'd never even heard of a SRAM click box until I read your post but looking at the YouTube videos of how to adjust the gears it seems a piece of cake, which usually means it isn't when you actually do it. These sort of jobs are typical of what I get given at our place when the boss has no idea how to do it himself. I wish you luck, my friend 👍. Once you've cracked it then when we get stuck we can come and ask you for tips 😉

Hi Andy. I take it you've looked at YouTube. I'd never even heard of a SRAM click box until I read your post but looking at the YouTube videos of how to adjust the gears it seems a piece of cake, which usually means it isn't when you actually do it. These sort of jobs are typical of what I get given at our place when the boss has no idea how to do it himself. I wish you luck, my friend 👍. Once you've cracked it then when we get stuck we can come and ask you for tips 😉

Humpf.

I've been using this video as a guide

[EDIT: IGNORE this video unless the Klickbox is already off the bike; use the much better one below instead.]

I've coaxed the Klickbox together after a fashion, it's a different model which is considerably harder than it appears in the picture because of course it is, that is how the world has to be, but it also doesn't seem to have enough pull to work properly, and the cable keeps coming out of the shifter end.
End of the day now and I need to help sort out the till, so I'll have to work on it in the morning.

Last edited:
YES! Got the "§$%&/() working again.*

IGNORE the video above unless the klickbox is already off the bike. This one is much better, but unfortunately in German:

The two important points if anyone finds this thread because of a similar problem:

On a modern Klickbox (Blue or red wheel centre) Don't take it off the axle if possible because it's under tension. If you do, you to reset it by running the wire around the wheel twice before pulling it into place, or as I did, by turning the brass crimp centre with a 7mm spanner and then shove it back on the axle so it's held in tension.

On an old klickbox the distance from the metal tensioning screw to the crimp should be 68.50mm.

On a new 5 spd Klickbox the distance from the plastic tensioner is 80mm
On a new 7 spd klickbox the distance is 90mm

I'll probably try adding half a mm to that next time because I had to turn the tensioner right to the extreme to set the gears. I'll also try and do a tutorial next time. However, right now I'm just glad to get it working....

*That's how pleased I am: I just used my annual exclamation mark...

Last edited:
Top Bottom