Sram nx 12 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

No idea of the overall width as it back few cogs are dished to accommodate the extra couple, but I know it will fit a standard 8, 9, 10 speed splined SRAM or Shimano driver body so there's no need to swap for an XD driver.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I recon its getting a bit silly, do we really need that many cogs?
Not at the expense of more fragile chains, micro tolerance in mech set up, and exorbitant price of replacement cassettes.

The move from 5 cogs at the back (when I first got a "racing" bike) has generally been positive, but agree its getting a bit daft, and the inability to mix and match due to changes in compatibility / pull ratio's etc, means it getting harder to source new parts for 10spd and below now.

I happily run a 1x 10spd set up on my gravel bike, I don't feel "Oh I wish I had another couple of sprockets wedged in there!"
I didn't feel I gained anything in the gearing department when I replaced a 2x10 with a 2x11 spd bike. Its was much shinier and prettier though!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the same width. SX and I think NX will run on a standard shimano spline freehub as they don't have the small 10T sprockets. The XD hub and Shimano Microspline are for running the small first sprocket.

You can obviously run with a cheaper cassette and a higher end groupset. You might actually want to, as they are incredibly expensive.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shut up you Luddites !

PS 3x7 and 2x8 speed on 3 bikes and 2 x 10 on my full suspension - suits my riding better. MrsF's XC is 2 x 10 too.

That said, it's far easier getting chain rings for the 1x set up these days. My 2 x 10's are expensive.

OP
OP
Jerome159

Jerome159

No idea of the overall width as it back few cogs are dished to accommodate the extra couple, but I know it will fit a standard 8, 9, 10 speed splined SRAM or Shimano driver body so there's no need to swap for an XD driver.
Thnks Ffoeg.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can obviously run with a cheaper cassette and a higher end groupset. You might actually want to, as they are incredibly expensive.
For us luddites on 10 and 11 speed systems, you can get Miche cassettes which, for about the same £ as the cheapest Shimano or SRAm cassette you can get a high quality cassette that, when your chain starts skipping on a couple of the middle most used sprockets, shock horror, you can just spend a few quid and replace those worn sprockets and not have to bin the whole cassette. And you can choose what range and sprockets go in it Revolutionary!:okay:

Big John

Guru
Crazy the amount of gears we're offered these days. Summer bike is 2x10 and I've two winter bikes that both run 2x7. On the cassette I probably use two gears and on the front occasionally drop on the small ring if there's a big hill to climb. When the cassettes wear most of the sprockets are untouched except for the two I use consistently. Manufacturers play to the market so who's asking for all these gears?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
For us luddites on 10 and 11 speed systems, you can get Miche cassettes which, for about the same £ as the cheapest Shimano or SRAm cassette you can get a high quality cassette that, when your chain starts skipping on a couple of the middle most used sprockets, shock horror, you can just spend a few quid and replace those worn sprockets and not have to bin the whole cassette. And you can choose what range and sprockets go in it Revolutionary!:okay:

From what I can see though, the Miche cassettes are very narrow range and only start at 11 teeth and then only go 11 - 32. so not really a viable alternative to SRAM 11 speed cassette's. My 11 speed SRAM cassette is 10 - 42 and that's a fairly narrow range, I would prefer a 10 - 52 for when I'm loaded up bike-packing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They go up to 34T but yes they are aimed at the road bike market, for use with a double chainrings, not touring / bike packing / MTB or 1x drive trains when you have rear sprockets bigger than your chainrings!!

I call 11-34 a wide range in a world where 11-25 or 11-28 is the norm, with a 50-34 up front. I run a 12-29 on mine, if I can't climb something on tarmac on a road bike on 34-29 then its not a road, its a goat track.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ah, that does make sense then.

Shame, I like the idea of replaceable cogs and more reasonably priced cassettes. Oh well, back to looking for pennies stuffed down the back of the sofa as I save up for the inevitable day when I need to replace mine.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Hi. How thick is the overall cassette? Is it more than 40mm?
Yes. 40mm takes to the 11th cog of the 12.

Top Bottom