Sram or Shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hippy

Regular
Hello again.
I'm now off to hopefully try some bikes ( carbon v alloy) that was my first querie, but if i have a choice of groupset, what advise do people have? I have heard of shimano obviously as they are on a large proportion of bikes and know they are well liked and good, but Sram was offered and i have to say i know little about them and have never ridden a bike with them fitted. Is there a preference for a road bike?

All these decisions, will I ever get me a new bike, or just keep having questions?:rolleyes:

I used to be indecisive, now i'm just not sure.

Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM for me, I can't brake comfortably off Shimano hoods. But they both work equally well IMO. SRAM is a little lighter for an equivalent groupset
Which groupsets are you looking at? What's the budget?

Approx equivalence I believe
Tiagra = Apex (10 speed)
105 = Rival (11 speed now, previously 10 speed)
Ultegra = Force (as above)

SRAM groupsets tend to be more expensive and much less widely used on UK bikes. My SRAM roadbikes were built from the frame with SRAM

Go try them both. Don't buy a bike without trying if new to roadbikes. Ultimately the fit and comfort are more important than the groupset if you are able to effectively and safely use it

If struggling to decide, buy the bike that feels best to ride and looks best to you

If you're anything like me, you'll be buying another in 6 months anyhow :whistle:

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Regular
I've been riding an old but very good Dawes comp giro that i bought second hand about 7 years ago, I thought it about time i treated myself to a new bike.
Its a Sram 2015 Force 22, 11 Spd Groupset, about £500 I think? the alternative was a
Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Spd Double Groupset slightly less I believe.

I'm not sure about another bike in 6 months? maybe 6 years^_^ as my record indicates.

Thanks for advise.

Citius

Both are excellent groupsets - the decision should be yours alone, based on your feel for the ergonomics and functionality (which is quite different). Force will be the lighter of the two groups, if that matters.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been riding an old but very good Dawes comp giro that i bought second hand about 7 years ago, I thought it about time i treated myself to a new bike.
Its a Sram 2015 Force 22, 11 Spd Groupset, about £500 I think? the alternative was a
Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Spd Double Groupset slightly less I believe.

I'm not sure about another bike in 6 months? maybe 6 years^_^ as my record indicates.

Thanks for advise.
Are you buying a whole bike or just the groupset?

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I have now owned MTBs with both over the last month.
Neither would influence me as decider on the sale of a bike.
Having said that i tend to lean towards sram {Scott, Ray, and Sam.} but thats just a preference both work fine.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the OP is looking at a road bike with brifters, as opposed to an MTB with triggers, certainly for me, the hood shape is paramount for confident braking

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Regular
Looking at buying a complete bike, it would be nice to try and put something together of a reasonable standard, I've been reading lots of reviews for many bikes and have noticed that many reviews say the bike is great but you will end up wanting to change this or that on it, If I can try and put something together from the onset that is of reasonable standard I won't have that problem. I Know its a lot to ask to expect to get it bang on but at I can at least make an educated judgement from peoples experience and help. I feel I will end up with something I will be happy with, I could be wrong but it has to be better than buying the first bike that looks nice in the shop window then questioning weather I have the right bike for myself.
All info and input is welcome and useful. Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
How much are you wanting to spend?

jack smith

Veteran
Im on sram rival 22 at the moment but have used the 10 speed sram red for a while too, i personally prefer srams method of shifting over shimano, the new shaped hoods on the rival dont do it for me though the old red was lovely. Shimano 105 is great too for the price point ive never ran the latest 11 speed though but the 10 speed was good, although shifting to an easier gear was too much of a push on the lever for me, hoods are nicer though along with braking.

cityfan247

Both are good brands.

I am very much in the Sram camp. Had Apex on my older bike and have Rival 22 on my new one. Love the double tap gear changing.

Top Bottom