SRAM Powerlink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
Put one of these on an Ultegra chain yesterday after running out of patience with the Shimano pin; realised afterwards that in my sleepy state I fitted it with the arrow pointing rearward.

It didn't want to come off in a hurry, does it really make any difference which way it points?

Put one of these on an Ultegra chain yesterday after running out of patience with the Shimano pin; realised afterwards that in my sleepy state I fitted it with the arrow pointing rearward.

It didn't want to come off in a hurry, does it really make any difference which way it points?
The plates are different dimensions on the inside and outside, so strictly speaking it does matter. In reality, I've had an entire Ultegra chain on arse about face, and not really had any issues.

The plates are not different dimensions - and it does not really matter which way you fit it.
You might do well to check your facts before commenting. The Ultegra chain is different on the inside and outside, I can't remember the reasoning, but they are different. This is the main reason you are (and always have been) on my ignore list.

Citius

You might do well to check your facts before commenting. The Ultegra chain is different on the inside and outside, I can't remember the reasoning, but they are different. This is the main reason you are (and always have been) on my ignore list.

He's talking about a SRAM power link - not the Ultegra chain. You will never be on my ignore list, because every time I think you have made the most absurd comment possible, you manage to surpass yourself with the next....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Chains - higher end shimano chains are asymmetric, so they do have a direction "to aid shifting performance"

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-CN0001-04-ENG.pdf

Page 6, although I bet you could fit it the wrong way and never notice.

The SRAM power link documentation also says that the link has a direction that must be observed, but doesn't say why

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...ev_a_user_manual_cassettes_and_chains_eeu.pdf

Page 9. This is for the 10 speed chain, although I'd be surprised if the 11 speed is different.

Citius

The SRAM power link documentation also says that the link has a direction that must be observed, but doesn't say why

Probably because there is no rational explanation. The forces on any split link are identical, regardless of which way it is fitted.

Sharky

Guru
Must say, I am always a bit miffed with these new fangled powerlinks.
I grew up with 1/8th chains having those U shape connectors, which always had to be put on the right way and then when I had proper racing bikes with 5 speeds blocks and 3/32nd chains, they never came special links or pins and always had to be joined using a chain splitter.

Now with 9 & 10 speed links, I do normally use the connecting links they come with, but the last couple of changes I did earlier in the year, I didn't bother with the connectors and just used a chain splitter tool to re-join the links. Had no problems and never had a chain break, but I do carry the splitter with me just in case.

So I am not entirely convinced that the powerlinks are essential and have just been introduced to cater for those who are technically incapable of using a chain splitter properly.

Does anybody have sound reasons why the powerlinks have to be used or any feedback from not?

Cheers Keith

winjim

Smash the cistern
He is on your ignore list because of the shape of Ultegra chains?

I grew up with 1/8th chains having those U shape connectors, which always had to be put on the right way and then when I had proper racing bikes with 5 speeds blocks and 3/32nd chains, they never came special links or pins and always had to be joined using a chain splitter.

Now with 9 & 10 speed links, I do normally use the connecting links they come with, but the last couple of changes I did earlier in the year, I didn't bother with the connectors and just used a chain splitter tool to re-join the links. Had no problems and never had a chain break, but I do carry the splitter with me just in case.

So I am not entirely convinced that the powerlinks are essential and have just been introduced to cater for those who are technically incapable of using a chain splitter properly.

Does anybody have sound reasons why the powerlinks have to be used or any feedback from not?

Cheers Keith
Power links / quick links are for the quick fix. I might put a power link in as a get me home fix, but I always use a chain pin for longevity. Modern chains can practically be bent back on themselves, without issue, chain technology has come on in leaps and bounds. Hot links / quick links / whatever are a lazy get out IMO.

Tim Hall

Cheers Keith
As I understand it, 10 speed (and possibly 9 speed) chains use "peened " rivets. When you drive out a rivet on these chains it pushes a small ring of metal off the side plate, making it more prone to failure when you put too much sideways load on it, for example in a botched gear change.

Top Bottom