SRAM Rival 1 or Similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know if this belongs in this forum but I believe this kind of setup has been around MTB for few years now.

I am looking into buying a gravel bike and I want to put a 1x11 groupset on it. I need to know if there are any compatibility issues. SRAM Rival 1 comes to mind. I am thinking of putting a Rival 1 50t crank on the front or maybe a 46t one. The rear cassette I have not decided on yet. Does it need to be SRAM or can it be something else. I believe the biggest ratio for the rear cassette in SRAM is 10-42 but there are other brands such as Hope 10-48 or Shimano SLX 11-46, or even Shark 10-50. Would any of these be compatible with SRAM Rival 1?
If not, what about another 1x11 setup?

I know 10-42 is a big ratio but an even bigger would be better on the hills, so checking my options

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is this for a mountain bike?

Off the top of my head..
I think Rival is just for 68mm bb.. So it may be too narrow for a mtb? Not sure

Regarding the rear, shimano and sram work fine and are interchangeable 11-42 or higher only , sram also do a 10-42 but you need the xd- driver freehub, Shimano wont fit this hub.
Sram seems to retain the chain better but its only when in the 42 and if you move your pedal backwards, not a common event but the chain will ride down the cassette.

Check crank axle length and frame bb width are compatible before buying.
Other option is buy a mtb crankset either sram or shimano and gear it to what you need.

If your strong enough to pull a large front maybe there is an option out there but i dont know of one for mtb.
I strugle up steep stuff with a 30-10-42 set up I'd be walking with a 36 up front

Last edited:
OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
You might be right about not being for MTB but I think gravel bikes are similar to cx road bikes so may have a narrower bb. I think it is Force 1 for MTB so I suppose this clarifies what the difference to the two.

As for the rest of the advice. I will take this onboard

Thanx

ozboz

Guru
I am getting a gravel bike, there are a lot of them already set up with a 1x ,
Also some of them will take 700 or 650b wheels and mtb style wide tyres , They also have disc brakes, I didn’t know there was a 10 -50 option on the rear I’ll be considering this ,
It is my intention to start bike packing so there is extra weight I have to keep in mind

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I am getting a gravel bike, there are a lot of them already set up with a 1x ,
Also some of them will take 700 or 650b wheels and mtb style wide tyres , They also have disc brakes, I didn’t know there was a 10 -50 option on the rear I’ll be considering this ,
It is my intention to start bike packing so there is extra weight I have to keep in mind
Of what I've read the 10-50 is Sparks but don't know if this would be compatible with Rival 1

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Of what I've read the 10-50 is Sparks but don't know if this would be compatible with Rival 1
I've realised now I am incorrect about the 10-52 cassette. I've just seen a video about the SRAM Eagle GX. Its a x1 groupset with a 12 speed cassette (10-52) but this groupset is catered for MTBs as the crank comes in either 32 or 34 tooth. It's also quite cheap at just under £500.

I've now decided that when I get the bike it is going to be 46 at the front and 10-42 at the back, if I do this I would have to get the XD hub. My idea is to buy a Orro Terra C which doesn't come with Rival 1 but thinking if the dealer I used may install it instead, probably wouldn't happen.

So my next question is: Does anyone know of a gravel bike that comes with Rival 1 (in the above crank and cassette specifications) that would come to around £3000 (the Orro would be £2099 but with Rival 1 it would be an estimate of about £3100)?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I would check out what Planet X offerings are available in sram rival 1x.......

Top Bottom