Sram Shifter Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Does anyone know where I can get a Sram Rival shifter repaired? I believe Sram sell the parts but I don't want to try surgery myself unless there is no other option. The bike is still rideable, but it is rather annoying.
I suspect one of the teeth has broken on the splined ratchet bit as it is missing a shift changing up in the middle of the cassette. I can still shift up two cogs with a wide sweep but a single upshift fails. I had a similar issue with an Apex shifter where three of the splines broke but that was replaced under warranty. The Rival shifters are too old to be a warranty claim.
Any pointers gratefully received.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
vintage-industrial-galvanised-metal-dustbin-with-rubber-lid-8797-p.jpg
two-young-men-looking-at-t-shirts-in-bike-shop-DKARB6.jpg

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a similar problem. My SRAM Apex rear shifter is in a similar state "The bike is still rideable, but it is rather annoying".

In my case what has broken is the return spring that takes the paddle back to "neutral" after a shift. So I have to shove it back into the central position after changing gear.

There is a big SRAM spare parts catalog (link on this page) where you will find an exploded diagram showing which parts are replaceable. See below.

I've decided that my technical skills stop at replacing item 2 (the rubber hood), and therefore I'm going to live with it, and if/when it gets too annoying just replace the whole shifter.

View attachment 404575
Mine is now slightly worse than annoying having snapped off this morning on the way into work. Single speed commute tonight. :training:

DSC_0007.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@dan_bo image 1 - Plus 1.
View attachment 404541
NB ST-4400 not SRAM Rival but the implication is the same.
YouTube is your friend ...! :okay:

I'm not a mechanic, but after watching a servicing video on YT I didn't have any problem reducing my RH Campagnolo 10-speed shifter to a pile of parts like that, and then reassembling them again with the worn parts replaced. It has worked perfectly for over 2 years since then.

Top Bottom