SRAM?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi guys,

Appologies if this has been done before... but how do the SRAM double shift gear levers work??? Dose the same lever shift up and down???

I have been offered a boardmans carbon road bike as a insurance replacement from halfords.... I really like the look of the bike, and read good things about them but halfords??!?!?!

I went into my local one today, the KID that served me couldn't explain how the shifters worked??? and didn't know how to put pedals on it for me to try it for size... The bike looks lovely though, i just couldn't get my head around the shifters.... Any one here have this bike and could shed some light or advise when dealing with halfords???

Thanks!

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've gone from Tiagra to Sram Rival and I don't think I'd go back. The double tap levers are easy to get the hang of - push the lever so it clicks once and you go up a gear, push it further so it clicks twice and you go down a gear. Very simple and very easy to get the hang of. The thing I like the most is that the brake lever is fixed - it's only a brake lever so it feels really positive all the time.

FWIW, I think the Boardmans are great and wouldn't hesitate. What's it replacing?

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah it's all on one lever. When you push the lever in wards You get a very positive click, if you release the lever you'll change to a smaller chainring/sprocket. However if you continue to push passed that click you'll start changing to a larger chainring/sprocket, at the rear you can shift down 3 gears in one go.

Another bonus is that it's very hard to stress the shifters when you hit the upper tension limit because the first click simply releases tension then the continued shift just grabs the cable tension again.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
replacings a spesh tricross - I know two very different types of bikes...my insurance comany only use halfords and any cash pay out result in 15% deduction of the value of ur stolen bike.... ive been giving them lots of stick because i dont want to use halfords and dont want to loose out of 15% of my payout and they have now offered me the carbon boardmans.

Ahh i see that sounds pretty simple then... In compairson to shimano what would sram rival equate to? as in is it entry level, mid, high etc?

GrasB

Veteran
Rival seems to be around Shimano 105 level in terms of equivalent bikes, it's certainly a nice groupset & feels better on the road compared to shimano 105/Ultegra (6600 iirc)

GrasB

Veteran
I'd take a test ride on the bike they're offering you tbh. I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro Ltd & it's a lot of bike for what you pay. The same is true for their road bikes as well.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
yeah thats why i went to halfords today but the kid serving me didn't have a clue wat was going on and couldn't let me test ride it... it was about half hour before closing time and i think he cudnt be arsed to do any work.... I haven't accepted the offer yet

GrasB

Veteran
Go back in the middle of the day & try then, at the end of the day is never a good starting point.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
eldudino said:
I'd defo take a carbon Boardman in replacement for a Tricross!

see this was my argument with my insurers who claim to give a like for like replacement.... the first offer i had was a boardmans ROAD bike cant remember the model it was about £700 but you can't class a road bike as a replacement for a cyclocross bike.... they are two very different things. Hence my argument with them went on for a few days untill they upped my value to spend in halfords too £999.99 (the cost of boardmans cross bike) - im obv going for the road bike as i never ride cross, or off road in any way ( I got the tricross as a first bike thinking i wud need off roading ability) the only reason i aruged my case was they undervalued my tricross, and I wanted specialized bike as replacement

Top Bottom