SS Build - Help Needed - PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Right , the hub only says shimano

Here's a pic if it helps ?

5ec0e611-4d2a-b821.jpg
5ec0e611-53cc-a8f3.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
watched the vid again, personally, my priority would be chain line, take out a link, then order a new freewheel.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Been offered some new brakes, 55-65 reach, will they fit?

I never knew they have different reach ones

Still waiting for sprocket

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm
Having to squeeze the frame together to get the wheel on , causing the wheel to be not straight , do I need a longer axel ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pop some washers on both sides - ideally inbetween the two cones. If it has horizontal drop outs then you can adjust how it sits in the frame, if not, then deffo the washers.

Make sure it's sitting dead centre - so one side may need more if the axel isn't centred on hub. Check sentering at the chainstay bridge (near BB) and the brake bridge.

This is assuming the axel is still long enough to get the nuts on !

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Pop some washers on both sides - ideally inbetween the two cones. If it has horizontal drop outs then you can adjust how it sits in the frame, if not, then deffo the washers.

Make sure it's sitting dead centre - so one side may need more if the axel isn't centred on hub. Check sentering at the chainstay bridge (near BB) and the brake bridge.

This is assuming the axel is still long enough to get the nuts on !

Would getting a " proper " SS wheel be a better bet ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not necessarily.

Your frame should be 130mm if made in last 20 years. SS hub/axels are usually 120mm (whish would make the situation worse). I can only assume the current axel is a 126mm road axel - as that DA hub pre-dates my 7400 series stuff, that went to 130mm when 8 speed was launched.

How much are you squeezing the frame ?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Not necessarily.

Your frame should be 130mm if made in last 20 years. SS hub/axels are usually 120mm (whish would make the situation worse). I can only assume the current axel is a 126mm road axel - as that DA hub pre-dates my 7400 series stuff, that went to 130mm when 8 speed was launched.

How much are you squeezing the frame ?

Quite a bit tbh mate

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Quick question

Didn't have a fettle last night as was watching the mcr riots on tv and checking in with some friend

But I did have a thought - could the reason for the wheel being not straight be because it's not far enough back in the drop outs ?

Top Bottom