SS Build - Help Needed - PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not really - you slide the drive side back to tension the chain, then slide the non drive back to align the wheel. With a fixed you tend to 'walk' the axel back.

If you get the wheel aligned right bang on middle between the chain stays (rim/tyre in the middle) - i.e. at the bottom bracket, then check to see if the wheel sits bang in the middle of the brake bridge - if it doesn't then you need spacers if the wheel won't align.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Not really - you slide the drive side back to tension the chain, then slide the non drive back to align the wheel. With a fixed you tend to 'walk' the axel back.

If you get the wheel aligned right bang on middle between the chain stays (rim/tyre in the middle) - i.e. at the bottom bracket, then check to see if the wheel sits bang in the middle of the brake bridge - if it doesn't then you need spacers if the wheel won't align.

Ok mate - thanks - will fettle later

Gaz

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Can't get my head round this

This is how it looks after being fixed in place , having tightened the drive side first

5ec0e611-c838-072c.jpg

The axel only just pokes through the drop outs when not tighten , when one side is tightened then the frame needs to be squeezed on the other side a lot to get the axel into the drop outs and the nut on it

Axel
5ec0e611-d271-df35.jpg

Drop outs

5ec0e611-d283-fbc6.jpg

This causes my chain line to FAIL :-)

5ec0e611-c89b-fa65.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
gaz, can you take a picture without the wheel in? down the length of the bike, just so we can check the stays/frame aren't twisted.

edit: then with the wheel in but not tightened.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking at the picture, it looks as though the non drive side does not have enough spacers in. It looks like the wheel is dished to be in the middle of the hub, but if you measure the end of the cone nuts to the hub flange, it looks from the picture that there is more space on the drive side - both should be the same measurement- end of cones to hub flange.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
fyi,

my brommie has an offset dishing to allow for the fold, so when i replace the rims (i build em myself), the 1st thing i do is make sure the chain alignment is spot on (i always remove the axle for a really good cleaning of the hub gears, no fancy verniers in my house...lol), THEN, i worry about dishing the rim to the offset, have i explained that right?

it's difficult to tell, but the frame looks twisted, this is probably because you are pulling the stays in more than usual. might be able to tell with requested piccies.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Noticed the wheel on my carbon has this

5ec0e611-e3c3-8959.jpg

So I gave it a go and bingo

5ec0e611-e3de-a8c2.jpg

So I assume I need a spacer thing - quick release also made it much more simple - can I change my other wheel to QR ? And is QR ok to use on a SS?

Thanks Edit : is this a good chainline too ?
5ec0e611-e585-221a.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Chain line is still off a bit, move it onto the next sproket.Also dont know if its just the angle but wheel still doesnt look right in the middle of the chain stays.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Chain line is still off a bit, move it onto the next sproket.Also dont know if its just the angle but wheel still doesnt look right in the middle of the chain stays.

With this wheel the angle can be moved - with the other it just can't

Can I add a QR to a SS ?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
[QUOTE 1478329"]Take it to your LBS. Fifteen quid will save you weeks of uploaded photos and questions.[/quote]

£15 or £160? :0)

I'd love to get the knowledge myself tbh - what would the lbs do ?

Top Bottom