SS/Fixie Newbie Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
I remember coming off the bike at Harrow Green in the mid 90's due to my foot catching on the front mudguard.Since then I've ditched the front ones although cut down ones are a good idea.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
KMC B1S chain.

Fix punctures without removing the chain when you can.

mjr

That seems excellent value.

As it'll be my winter bike and getting the Mickle treatment rather than proper regular deep cleans I might spend a bit more and get something like this with the rust protection.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-x1-ept-chain/rp-prod120658

I assume it would be ok to use a quicklink with either of the above?
I've not got on with anti-rust chains (both of the ones I've tried were noisy as hell), plus I read somewhere a list of reasons why the older B1 is claimed to be better than the X1. Of course, I can't find that by searching for "B1" :rolleyes:

It's fine to use quicklinks unless you've very tight clearance. In case you've not seen one yet, most SS quicklinks look different to the matching pairs on derailleur bikes, consisting of a side plate with both pins on (I usually put that on the inside), a sideplate like an 8 that they both poke through and a securing clip like an elongated long C which slides over the notches in the pins that poke through (I usually put it so the open side is second around the sprocket IYSWIM). I tend to join/split them by pushing a large flat-blade screwdriver on the side of the securing clip.

TAYA chains come with a single-use two-piece quicklink. Buying more quicklinks is annoying so I'll not be using them again until they stop that.

mjr

plus I read somewhere a list of reasons why the older B1 is claimed to be better than the X1. Of course, I can't find that by searching for "B1" :rolleyes:
I found https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1085865#p1085865 from the other place. EDIT: and searching that poster's history found https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1081658#p1081658 which looks like the start of the discussion I remember.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
most SS quicklinks look different to the matching pairs on derailleur bikes
Ah, ok. I didn't even realise SS quicklinks were different. Was just planning on using one of my spare Sram ones. Thanks for the heads up!

I just noticed that's a 3/32" chain. Do you want a 3/32" chain rather than a 1/8"? What sprockets have you got?
Not sure yet. It's a 2013 Day One but I've struggled to find a full spec online. Due to pick it up Saturday so will know then. Cheers.

Is it a Day One or a Day One Disc?

I have a 2013 Day One Disc and saved the spec:

2013 Day One Disc Spec Sheet said:
Bottom Bracket TH Industries BB-7420ST Cartridge 68x110mm
Brakes BB7 Mechanical Road (160mm rotors)
Cassette Shimano SF-MX30 18T
Chain K810 3/32in
Cranks Driveline TK-13 42T 3/32in
Fork 1 1/8in DB Cro-Mo unicrown (w/ mudguard eyelet)
Frame Material Reynolds 520 Steel
Front Hub KT-SY1F / KT-MX7R 6-Bolt Disc
Front Tyre Continental
Grips/Tape Microfibre Shockproof Tape
Handlebar AL-6061 DB Compact Drop OS/31.8mm
Headset Type TH-857 1 1/8in
Rear Hub KT-SY1F / KT-MX7R 6-Bolt Disc
Rear Tyre Continental
Rims XD-Lite Disc 32H
Saddle Genesis/Velo VL-1200 Road CrMo Rail
Seatpost Genesis AL-6061 27.2x300mm
Stem Genesis 3D Forged OS/31.8mm
Weight (kg) 10.6
Weight (lb) 23.4
Brake Levers Tektro RL-340

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Is it a Day One or a Day One Disc?

I have a 2013 Day One Disc and saved the spec:

It's a Day One Disc, so that's the spec sheet for mine too. Thanks for that - brilliant, much appreciated.

Just done my first quick ride on the bike and am well pleased. I'll be swapping the tyres out and fitting mudguards but other than that it seems perfect for my needs.

Cheers.

It's a Day One Disc, so that's the spec sheet for mine too. Thanks for that - brilliant, much appreciated.

Just done my first quick ride on the bike and am well pleased. I'll be swapping the tyres out and fitting mudguards but other than that it seems perfect for my needs.

Cheers.

I also have a .pdf version of the 2013 Genesis catalogue. I cannot upload it to the thread but if you would like a copy, PM me an email address.

Top Bottom