SS/Fixie Newbie Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Watch out the first time you go downhill fixed.

I don't know about fixed

Yeah, neither do I, clearly - I presumed the Day One had a flip flop hub but of course that isn't likely with a disc rotor on one side. So no fixed option for me - presume that would require a whole new wheel building? Bit disappointed as I was looking forward to trying to get into the rhythm of riding fixed when the opportunity presented, but then again SS was always going to be my main option so still pretty pleased with the mint condition bike for £250.

I run full mudguards on my genesis
Are they SKS guards @dave r ? I tried to fit some Chromoplastics to mine last night and had to give up in the end - none of the supplied bolts for the guard stays would fit into the eyelets on my frame, and the fork crown bolt fits but seems to have washers but no nut. Did you have to source new fittings for yours, or am I being stupid (it wouldn't be the first occasion - indeed, see above!)

I also have a .pdf version of the 2013 Genesis catalogue. I cannot upload it to the thread but if you would like a copy, PM me an email address.
Much obliged for this. PM on its way.

I've been meaning to get one of these for my fixed gear road bike, to increase chain life: http://www.hebie.de/en/protection/chainguard/chainglider/350/

Never used one myself but I've heard good reports.

That looks like a good option for the winter commute. I think @Pale Rider has one, or something similar, on his e-bike. I guess it means another few minutes of faffing when you get a puncture?

D

Deleted member 1258

Yeah, neither do I, clearly - I presumed the Day One had a flip flop hub but of course that isn't likely with a disc rotor on one side. So no fixed option for me - presume that would require a whole new wheel building? Bit disappointed as I was looking forward to trying to get into the rhythm of riding fixed when the opportunity presented, but then again SS was always going to be my main option so still pretty pleased with the mint condition bike for £250.

Are they SKS guards @dave r ? I tried to fit some Chromoplastics to mine last night and had to give up in the end - none of the supplied bolts for the guard stays would fit into the eyelets on my frame, and the fork crown bolt fits but seems to have washers but no nut. Did you have to source new fittings for yours, or am I being stupid (it wouldn't be the first occasion - indeed, see above!)

That looks like a good option for the winter commute. I think @Pale Rider has one, or something similar, on his e-bike. I guess it means another few minutes of faffing when you get a puncture?

I can't remember what make the mudguards are but they were simple and easy to fit.

How did I know you were going to say that?!

Great, thanks. And you swap those out just like changing a cassette on a derailleur bike, using the same tools?
No, not the same tools; you need a freewheel removal tool. It's easier than a cassette in many ways because you don't need a chain whip.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

There is a Chainglider on my ebike.

Works quite well, because the Bosch system uses a small front sprocket, which is about the same size as the Rohloff sprocket on the back meaning the Chainglider is a neat, oval shape.

Where the chain meets the Rohloff sprocket is partially exposed, so the chain still becomes black and gunky.

That hardly matters becomes the rest of the chain is enclosed.

As a general point, a chain on a fixed bike ought to last well because it's never derailed, and always runs in perfect alignment.

The higher line compared to a derailer means the chain doesn't pick up quite so much road dirt.

My bike has vertical dropouts and raised chainstays - the chain doesn't go through the rear triangle.

When I've removed the rear wheel it has been easy enough to lift the chain and Chainglider off the rear sprocket in one piece.

Ought to be the same on a fixed, presuming it is set up for the wheel to come out without breaking the chain.

Not sure if it's worth buying a Chainglider as an accessory.

If mine falls apart, I probably wouldn't replace it.

Top Bottom