SS Noob Question - Gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got two bikes. One a SS (freewheel) with 44x17 - great for normal leisure riding on mixed terrain. The other is a fixed and set up with a 50x14 or 15, but only used for short distance TT's on flat courses. The 50 x 15 (approx. 88") does seem too low sometimes when the wind is behind you and topping 30mph. But the slightest hill and you almost grind to a halt.
True, but if you know the hill is coming, cane it before you hit it, and if you’re not going up for too long, you should be okay.

90" on the road?! Wow! That sounds huge! 42x16 gives me 70". 44x18 is about 66"; to go to 90" is quite a leap.
But satisfying, as you can really fly, on the flats and descents, at the cost of a small inconvenience on the Aussie descents.

I ride 43x17 or 18 fixed. You say 'single-speed' which implies a freewheel. Conventional wisdom is that you can gear lower with a freewheel because you can coast downhill. Fixed-wheel teaches suppleness and smooth pedalling technique (unless you're grinding a 90" gear, obv.).
Very true, that’s the beauty of riding fixed, you learn to be smooth, or come off

D

Deleted member 1258

It is, but I find it’s very easy to keep a steady pace / Control with a big ratio. I don’t wish to encourage anyone’s grandma to suck the proverbial eggs, but ( set to fixed ) the less time spent switching the twitching ( muscles ) the less tiring the ride ( if you anticipate the stops, and don’t get too many e stops). 90 is a big ask for the un initiated, but if you don’t have any actual climbs, it soon feels natural enough.

You sound like an exceptionally strong rider, 46x18 is about as high as I go, I normally ride 44x18

You sound like an exceptionally strong rider, 46x18 is about as high as I go, I normally ride 44x18
I’ve got thighs like tree trunks, in relation to the rest of me, but that’s a legacy of the Rugby days. 90 inches isn’t that unusual, with the fixed riders I know, but not massively common.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Each to their own. I'm a rather 'spinny' rider, but not everyone is.
My SS is at about 62", and about 72" on the fixed side. 39T to 17T freewheel 15T fixed, on a flip-flop hub.
dynatech.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I’ve got thighs like tree trunks, in relation to the rest of me, but that’s a legacy of the Rugby days. 90 inches isn’t that unusual, with the fixed riders I know, but not massively common.

I only know one rider round here that can manage a 90" gear.

Top Bottom