SS Noob Question - Gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
90"? With a cadence of about 100, that's 30 mph :eek:
If you are riding in a timetrial or at timetrial tempo, 90" gear is not particularly high. I'm a long way from a being a "fast" rider, but on one of the Q courses, i clocked 44mph on 95 fixed on the fast "ski-slope" start. In spite of the fast start I only finished with a 26min ride a lot lot slower then the winner.

Andrew1971

Veteran
My SS is 48 16 what ever that is in inches. I find that fine for me where I live and some people think I am nuts for having a single speed bike
they cant see the attraction.
Andrew

gaijintendo

Veteran
The gearing is 44 x 18 which is grand for flats and gentle hills but, genuinely, I'm well and truly spinning out on any downhills.

I recommend not changing anything for now. You are describing the compromise of riding fixed or single speed.

I was spinning out on descents on my fixie, and I decided I'd go down slower, and work on my backpedalling. As has been mentioned, it is a freewheel, so you have the option of letting it spin out (whereas it would spin me out on my fixie).

You are also getting a good bit of cadence work if you stay shy of the 90 inches, for which you will reap the rewards back on the road bike on climbs and so on.

Basically, don't feel like you have to fettle just because it's simple. Give it a little longer to grow on you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I recommend not changing anything for now. You are describing the compromise of riding fixed or single speed.

I was spinning out on descents on my fixie, and I decided I'd go down slower, and work on my backpedalling. As has been mentioned, it is a freewheel, so you have the option of letting it spin out (whereas it would spin me out on my fixie).

You are also getting a good bit of cadence work if you stay shy of the 90 inches, for which you will reap the rewards back on the road bike on climbs and so on.

Basically, don't feel like you have to fettle just because it's simple. Give it a little longer to grow on you.

Perfectly balanced argument and i agree; for context i ride in Dundee which is notorious for the way in which you travel uphill one way and then uphill again on the way back. That said i've found a nice wee route that takes in two minimal climbs (meaning out of saddle) with my the singlespeed and i might swap the rear cog so it goes from 46x18 to 48x15, give it that little bit more 'oomph' and work my legs more.

On my second day riding it i've found that i'm spoiled by my road bike because I can drop to 39x25 on big hills and just keep my cadence up to keep my speed. No such luck when it's fixed at 46x18! It works different muscles and i'm really enjoying it!

zigzag

Veteran
gearing should be chosen according to the terrain, 48x16 works well for me as long as i avoid 17%+ hills. for flat(ish) terrain i prefer 52x16, my natural cadence is 80-90rpm.

Another SS noob here, and like the OP I'm considering changing the gearing on my new (secondhand) SS in time. I've only just got it so am going to take a couple of months to get used to it, but at 42/18 (approx 62 gear inches) for a totally flat 17 mile commute (which will be the bike's primary use) I'm thinking I might need to go for a higher gear at some point.

I notice upthread one or two people mentioning changing chain rings - are there some advantages to doing this? Isn't it cheaper and simpler to change the rear cog?

I'm wondering if sticking with the 42 at the front but putting a 15 on the back (an increase of 13 inches to 75") would be about right. Would any other adjustments come into play if doing this, other than maybe shortening the chain?

Thanks,
Andy

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi Andy. Your gearing is a bit lower than I would use for that commute. I tend to aim between 65-75" on mine for general riding (though I'm fat and Cumbria isn't good at flat)

In your position I'd be tempted to try a 16t (Dicta freewheels are easy to find in that size and dirt cheap, if not very durable) and see how it feels. 15 would probably be fine though.

Sharky

Guru
My SS came with a dicta freewheel and not had any problems and have replaced with the same.
When buying freewheels, the common sizes seem to be 16, 17 or 18, so if you are looking for a higher gear you may need to increase the size of the chain ring.

I have a fixed on the other side, so any worries about the dicta failing isn't a problem.

When buying freewheels, the common sizes seem to be 16, 17 or 18
Good point. For some reason I thought 14-18 was the common range. I'm struggling to find a 14 or 15. I'll likely go with @mcshroom 's suggestion and try a 16t.

Being flat and on an estuary we get a lot of wind around here, and there's a bit of stopping and starting, so it's not like I can pummel it all the way.

Actually, I've just checked and on my 10 speed road bike the gear I tend to use most on the commute is my 50/19 - if http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches is to be believed that is exactly the same as a 42/16 - bingo!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Top Bottom