Stage 15 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Double arse.

Good to see some full-on descending, though (well, a bit - the adverts meant a lot was missed). And the side view from the helicopter of the ill-fated attack showed just how fast the riders actually are on these climbs when they lay the power down.

Hopefully Schleck will be super-angry tomorrow and isolate Contador in a do-or-die big-stage exploit starting on the early climbs. Sadly, the days of such exploits seem to be long gone, though. Easy for me to say, of course!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I watched various clips, listened to several analysis and I got the impression that Schleck made an error and therefore Contador was right to carry on. That's assuming the info/guesses I read are accurate:-

Schleck in small ring mid cog launches attack while shifting to smaller cogs,ends up at small/small and then, under load, tries to jump to big ring, possibly double shifting at same time. Due to extreme angle, torque, etc, the chain jumps and ships.

If that's right then I'd have said rider error, I know their gear is all top notch and finely tuned but it's still asking a lot of a front ring change. I'd have thought getting to big ring and big cog then attacking, so that shifts are rear only, would have made more sense. Or maybe he was trying to mask his intent, or maybe I've been reading too many internet theories!!!!

Foghat

I watched various clips, listened to several analysis and I got the impression that Schleck made an error and therefore Contador was right to carry on. That's assuming the info/guesses I read are accurate:-

Schleck in small ring mid cog launches attack while shifting to smaller cogs,ends up at small/small and then, under load, tries to jump to big ring, possibly double shifting at same time. Due to extreme angle, torque, etc, the chain jumps and ships.

If that's right then I'd have said rider error, I know their gear is all top notch and finely tuned but it's still asking a lot of a front ring change. I'd have thought getting to big ring and big cog then attacking, so that shifts are rear only, would have made more sense. Or maybe he was trying to mask his intent, or maybe I've been reading too many internet theories!!!!

I watched it pretty closely. He was in the small chainring and there was no left-lever action until after the chain problem first occurred (i.e. until when he was trying to get the chain back on) - the motorbike camera footage from the bike just in front of him showed it was definitely right-lever action on its own that caused the mishap, which as you say was Schleck's error.

raindog

er.....
I watched it pretty closely. He was in the small chainring and there was no left-lever action until after the chain problem first occurred (i.e. until when he was trying to get the chain back on) - the motorbike camera footage from the bike just in front of him showed it was definitely right-lever action on its own that caused the mishap, which as you say was Schleck's error.
Why is trying to change gear "Schleck's error"?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I don`t read that as Schlecks fault, more just bad luck. He tried to break away and it backfired, I really don`t see the problem in then taking advantage of that. Lucky for Mr Contador however as he was not looking comfortable.

e-rider

crappy member
I like the opinions that he didn't change gear correctly - he's a pro; AND how many ways are there to click a lever?

I also like the idea that a bump in the road caused his rear wheel to lift!!!

CCers are lengendary.

Foghat

I like the opinions that he didn't change gear correctly - he's a pro; AND how many ways are there to click a lever?

Yep, textbook pro gear change, that.

Read what MacB wrote about changing gear under load and chain line etc. There was no double-shifting and no shift to the big ring until afterwards, when Schleck was trying to get the chain back on, but the fluffed gear change was definitely the cause of the problem, as the from-the-front footage shows Schleck making the short lever-push for a SRAM Doubletap shift to a higher gear (smaller sprocket) just as the chain-jump occurs.

It seems quite possible too, that the gear change was unintentional, and occurred because the gear lever got pushed accidentally as his index finger position changed slightly as the bar angle changed with the right-to-left swing of the bike during his out-of-the-saddle full-on effort. This would fit with the shift being made under too much load and jumping in such a way as to come off the chainring, and the mechanic's confirmation he was in a very small sprocket plus the corroborative footage of him standing there with the chain on a small sprocket mean the chain angle wasn't great either. These unintended shifts caused by the finger moving the lever accidentally do occur, even at professional level, and while it was a basic error, it was bad luck to happen when the chain was under full load.

Top Bottom