Stage 15 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Right, what have I missed?

Nothing.

yello

Contador very, very clearly attacks as he comes round Andy.
Very, very clearly.

We've not been watching the same race then! Contador was committed before he came past.

Contador was at the back off the peleton when AS passed him but is well ahead of the peleton when he passes AS. This means he had upped his pace considerably in pursuit of AS, no? He was responding to the attack some time before AS's chain comes off. And he'd have been at full pelt. I seriously doubt, and give Contador the benefit of that doubt, he knew that the reason for AS's slowing was a mechanical. I doubt any of the race directors knew what had happened for some time either. He was by no means the only rider to go for it either. I didn't notice Menchov or Sanchez hanging about.

I was dubious when I first saw it but after I had listened to Laurent Jalabert offer his opinion, I agreed that it was just an unfortunate racing incident. It's a real shame for AS because I reckon he could have had Contador there. He definitely had got the jump on him.

yello

You have your opinion and I have mine. I've formed mine by listening to what other have said when viewing with the replays. As I said, initially I was sceptical.

However, it's clear we're not going to agree on this one so I think we'd best just leave it at that. Ok?

frank9755

Cyclist
We don't know yet why Schlek's chain came off and we can argue about Contador's ethics but, if Saxo team hadn't burned up all their other riders, Schlek would not have lost as much time.  I think that was the key tactical error.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Did you watch the link?
Bertie attacks the mechanical, no doubt about it

But it wasn't a mechanical (which would be an unfortunate problem cause by equipment failure or poor bike set up) but a mistake by Schleck resulting from his own failure to change gear properly. Schleck and his manager, Riis, both fully accept the result today.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-preaches-calm-in-aftermath-of-schlecks-disappointment

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
You have your opinion and I have mine. I've formed mine by listening to what other have said when viewing with the replays. As I said, initially I was sceptical.

However, it's clear we're not going to agree on this one so I think we'd best just leave it at that. Ok?

haha, agreed :biggrin:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
But it wasn't a mechanical (which would be an unfortunate problem cause by equipment failure or poor bike set up) but a mistake by Schleck resulting from his own failure to change gear properly. Schleck and his manager, Riis, both fully accept the result today.

http://www.cyclingne...-disappointment

Ok that's true..... but it was still an extremely unfortunate inccident where lady luck had a major hand of play.

Anyway, Contador has more or less got the yellow in the bag now, unless he blows up during stage 17.

Much as I would have liked to see Contador stop and wait he was on the vinegar strokes of a ferocious response to Schleck's attack. I'm not sure that anyone of us would have the strength of mind to pull back and wait under those circumstances. Plus, Sanchez and Menchov would also have to hold back and I'm not sure Bertie would have been prepared to count on that.

It's a shame that Schleck lost it like that but no shame on Bertie.

Top Bottom