Stage 15 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
FWIW, K-edge chain catcher weighs 10 grams, including allowing for the longer bolt. (Got one and new derailleur awaiting fitting in my kitchen.)
If Contador had waited we'd not have seen Schelck's awesome form blowing past the fractured peloton on the remainder of the climb.
I suspect the TT difference will be more than the 41 secs Schleck was originally ahead by anyway, Schleck needs to be adding minutes or good chunks of them to his lead and I don't see that happening yet. Despite his awesome form Contador's matched him move for move or close enough.
I wouldn't be suprised if Contador's toughness and experience will continue to allow him to make small gains in the rest of the Pyrennes, then seal it in final TT.

woohoo

Veteran
Chris Boardman said on the ITV4 coverage that Contador was right to keep going and that Schleck should have had a chain catcher fitted instead saving the few grams weight penalty.

So even the experts (including Phil and Paul) have different views.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
That's racing.

To be fair to Contador, he didn't take advantage of Schleck's misfortune. Schleck attacked and Contador responded. When Contador passed Schleck, he didn't know what the problem was (that's what he's just said anyway!). He didn't know it was a mechanical and just continued on the counter-attack.

It's bad luck, and I would prefer the yellow was not taken like that, but that's just the way it goes. I obviously hope the tour is not decided by it either (I don't think it will) but I certainly don't hold Contador in any disrespect for it.

Shleck was at a standstill when contador attacked.
Contador did not continue at the same pace, he attacked. A clear explosive increase in speed as he passed shleck.
Contador was also in clear view of shleck, and there is no way he could have missed what happened unless he climbs mountains with his eyes closed.

Very unsporting. I liked Contador up until this point - but as Contador said, he has one goal which is to win the yellow overall by paris - no matter what.

Genman

The point is, Contador didn't take advantage. Schleck's chain didn't come off and THEN Contador attacked. That would have been taking advantage. Schleck attacked, Contador responded, chain jumped, Contador continued unaware - at that moment - of Schleck's problem. The difference is of timing, a little hair splitting but non-the-less valid. It was just unfortunate and not cynical, imo.

Exactly so.

yello

If you see footage of Contador being presented with the yellow jersey listen for the boos. it's obviously something that's splitting opinion but booing is not on, imo, in either event.

Genman

Chris Boardman said on the ITV4 coverage that Contador was right to keep going and that Schleck should have had a chain catcher fitted instead saving the few grams weight penalty.

So even the experts (including Phil and Paul) have different views.
:biggrin:
You're just being silly now woohoo.

yello

Shleck was at a standstill when contador attacked.

Watch again, seriously. Look BEHIND Schleck, Contador is in full flight after him. Contador got trapped/blocked at the back of the peleton, a rare sleepy moment perhaps!, Schleck came past and accelerated, Contador was initially blocked but went after Schleck asap. He obviously was not going to let him go! Vinokourov was after Schleck so - possibly - blocking Contador's view. Even if not, Contador would have been eyeballs out after Schleck, not looking for jumping chains. When Contador passes Schleck on the left, there's no way he knows it's a mechanical. He doesn't attack at that point, he's already going for it. He's not going to concern himself with why Schleck doesn't follow.

Btw, Schleck accepts it as a racing incident.

woohoo

Veteran
:biggrin:
You're just being silly now woohoo.

Ah the missing smiley from the " So even the experts (including Phil and Paul) have different views" comment :blush:

(but at least they are free (to me) on ITV4 and I can continue to avoid paying money to the Murdoch empire – for the time being).

aJohnson

http://www.steephill...010&id=20948447

Isn't that Vino who chases Andy? So surely Contador must have known something was up with Andys bike when he suddenly slowed so much.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Contador sees Andy off the bike from the other side when he turns his head.

There's no doubt Contador knew soon after, what had happened but chose to take advantage. You could argue it was Schleck's mistake but even so it reflects badly on Contador, it's not in the tradition of the race.

Schleck has to attack on the Tourmalet now, should be an exciting stage and he has to beware of Menchov in the final TT.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Watch again, seriously. Look BEHIND Schleck, Contador is in full flight after him. Contador got trapped/blocked at the back of the peleton, a rare sleepy moment perhaps!, Schleck came past and accelerated, Contador was initially blocked but went after Schleck asap. He obviously was not going to let him go! Vinokourov was after Schleck so - possibly - blocking Contador's view. Even if not, Contador would have been eyeballs out after Schleck, not looking for jumping chains. When Contador passes Schleck on the left, there's no way he knows it's a mechanical. He doesn't attack at that point, he's already going for it. He's not going to concern himself with why Schleck doesn't follow.

Btw, Schleck accepts it as a racing incident.

Contador very, very clearly attacks as he comes round Andy.
Very, very clearly.

Genman

There's no doubt Contador knew soon after, what had happened but chose to take advantage. You could argue it was Schleck's mistake but even so it reflects badly on Contador, it's not in the tradition of the race.

Schleck has to attack on the Tourmalet now, should be an exciting stage and he has to beware of Menchov in the final TT.

Try Googling Beloki or Simeoni if you want an insight into ' the tradition of the race ''

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
http://www.steephill...010&id=20948447

Isn't that Vino who chases Andy? So surely Contador must have known something was up with Andys bike when he suddenly slowed so much.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Contador sees Andy off the bike from the other side when he turns his head.

There, everybody watch this link. You can pause, rewind etc...

Schleck attacks, Vino follows. Shleck has a mechanical and contador is with all the other riders as they start to pass him. Seconds later Contador is off the front having launched a full blown attack. There is no mistake to be made, Contador attacked Schleck when schleck was putting his foot on the ground - therefore, obviously stopped. There is no excuse to say Contador missed what happened either as he rubs shoulders with Schleck as schleck is standing.

Genman

Schleck attacks, Vino follows. Shleck has a mechanical and contador is with all the other riders as they start to pass him. Seconds later Contador is off the front having launched a full blown attack. There is no mistake to be made, Contador attacked Schleck when schleck was putting his foot on the ground - therefore, obviously stopped. There is no excuse to say Contador missed what happened either as he rubs shoulders with Schleck as schleck is standing.

It wasn't a mechanical or any such Sherwenism, it was a cocked up change or a badly set up bike. Either way it's a race not a charity event.

Renard

Don't forget he is wired up too so the team car would know exactly what is happening.

Top Bottom