Stage 15 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I think he was right to go, but then I want Bertie to win!

Good to see Menchov and Sanchez benefit too, brings it all a bit closer together...

and the fuss means the French victory is ignored, oh what a shame!!!!!

Renard

Cuntador should've waited. He knew he was under the cosh today and if this is what decides the race then its a hollow victory. Gutted for Schleck.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The first incident which comes to mind of people waiting was when Armstrong got felled by some spectator on a climb. In those situations, people always wait.

People wait for punctures, again, not the rider's fault

This may well have been Schleck's fault for a bad shift, or not using the chain guard, so fair enough to attack. Wasn't just Contador, three others went too...

And as Boardman or someone pointed out, everyone waited up for Schleck at the beginning of the race, when he may well have lost many minutes if they hadn't...

woohoo

Veteran
So, did Schleck make any allowance for Contador having a mechanical (broken spoke) over the cobbles last week?

We missed a great battle today but this hero/villain stuff is OTT.

yello

That's racing.

To be fair to Contador, he didn't take advantage of Schleck's misfortune. Schleck attacked and Contador responded. When Contador passed Schleck, he didn't know what the problem was (that's what he's just said anyway!). He didn't know it was a mechanical and just continued on the counter-attack.

It's bad luck, and I would prefer the yellow was not taken like that, but that's just the way it goes. I obviously hope the tour is not decided by it either (I don't think it will) but I certainly don't hold Contador in any disrespect for it.

Renard

That's racing.

To be fair to Contador, he didn't take advantage of Schleck's misfortune. Schleck attacked and Contador responded. When Contador passed Schleck, he didn't know what the problem was (that's what he's just said anyway!). He didn't know it was a mechanical and just continued on the counter-attack.

It's bad luck, and I would prefer the yellow was not taken like that, but that's just the way it goes. I obviously hope the tour is not decided by it either (I don't think it will) but I certainly don't Contador in any disrespect for it.

I suppose you're right. Its just difficult to be philosophical until the dust has settled a bit.

woohoo

Veteran
:rolleyes:

The difference being that Contador was on the last 500m of the stage on a totally flat part, in the first week of the Tour...

And he wasn't wearing the Yellow Jersey.
:rolleyes:

.. and if Contador gets a mechanical in the TT (in yellow) would Schleck stop for the same time to make it all fair?

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
To quote Robbie Hunter on Twitter:-

"STG3 Contador never had yellow.ppl it was totally different story..in the peleton if yellow has a problem u wait specially if its a person who can win the tour.. That's how we race!!!"

Renard

To quote Robbie Hunter on Twitter:-

"STG3 Contador never had yellow.ppl it was totally different story..in the peleton if yellow has a problem u wait specially if its a person who can win the tour.. That's how we race!!!"

This is interesting and much more relevant than our opinions. The crowd's reaction didn't sound very positive at the jersey presentation.

BigSteev

I think it's a good thing. Now we'll get to see Schleck really have to go on the attack. I been really hoping it won't come down to a boring time trial, to me that's just like F1 drivers waiting for a pit stop to overtake.

yello

So your point is that it is OK for Schleck to take advantage of a mechanical but not Contador or Menchov or Sanchez :laugh:

The point is, Contador didn't take advantage. Schleck's chain didn't come off and THEN Contador attacked. That would have been taking advantage. Schleck attacked, Contador responded, chain jumped, Contador continued unaware - at that moment - of Schleck's problem. The difference is of timing, a little hair splitting but non-the-less valid. It was just unfortunate and not cynical, imo.

Top Bottom