Stage 15 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well my opinion is he should have waited, he beat Andy not on his ability as a climber but because Andy had a mechanical problem.

I would not want to win like that.

On the telly it said it took him 32 seconds to get going again, much similar to what Contador won by.

Well my opinion is he should have waited, he beat Andy not on his ability as a climber but because Andy had a mechanical problem.

I would not want to win like that.

On the telly it said it took him 32 seconds to get going again, much similar to what Contador won by.

I pretty much agree with that, if not have waited, he need not have worked with Sanchez and Menchov. If he needs to take advantage of others bad fortune in order to win the race or relieve the pressure he's feeling he's a poorer racer for it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's a shame for the jersey to change hands over a slipped chain rather than racing - all part of the drama though.

Little moment for Voeckler too where he nearly lost it towards the end. Phew!

jpembroke

Tommy Voeckler won the stage by the way, in case anyone missed it. A top bloke and a gutsy rider (even if he does look a bit like Bono).

I pretty much agree with that, if not have waited, he need not have worked with Sanchez and Menchov. If he needs to take advantage of others bad fortune in order to win the race or relieve the pressure he's feeling he's a poorer racer for it.
I think the moment had passed by that point. Didn't Menchov and Sanchez lead Contador up to the summit? No-one seems to be censuring them for not waiting.

So glad that I've got Thursday afternoon booked off work....:hyper:

Edit
Bjarne Riis' take on things.
"I don’t know. Was it possible for Contador to wait in that situation, with [Samuel] Sanchez [Euskaltel] and [Denis] Menchov [Rabobank] attacking? He has to follow those guys, for sure. He might not need to pull [with them] or attack, but he has to follow those guys."

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Tommy Voeckler won the stage by the way, in case anyone missed it. A top bloke and a gutsy rider (even if he does look a bit like Bono).

I think he's got more of a touch of Robin Williams, so to speak.

Same that Melman loses yellow. I like cycling giraffes.
Madagascar_Melman_L.jpg

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I think the moment had passed by that point. Didn't Menchov and Sanchez lead Contador up to the summit? No-one seems to be censuring them for not waiting.

So glad that I've got Thursday afternoon booked off work....:hyper:

Sammy Sanchez is more to blame than Menchov....it was mentioned by those of us who were using "chat" at the time

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The point is, Contador didn't take advantage. Schleck's chain didn't come off and THEN Contador attacked. That would have been taking advantage. Schleck attacked, Contador responded, chain jumped, Contador continued unaware - at that moment - of Schleck's problem. The difference is of timing, a little hair splitting but non-the-less valid. It was just unfortunate and not cynical, imo.
That's how I saw it too.

Willo

Cuntador should've waited. He knew he was under the cosh today and if this is what decides the race then its a hollow victory. Gutted for Schleck.

I think it a real shame that such a decisive day was down to this. I was pretty neutral but have enjoyed Schleck in this tour and thought he was looking very good today. Suppose we'll never know now whether he could've gained any time in the GC today. Not sure there's enough left for him to do it now, but here's hoping he can pull out a massive day on the Tourmalet. Here's hoping.

Top Bottom