Stage 17 SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboytaylor

Interesting, Stephen Roche on Eurosport is suggesting AS' (or Saxo's) tactics weren't right. Schleck blew off the rest of the GC guys too early - he could have used them as foils for his own attacks, given AC loads of different things to think about. Also, his accelerations weren't sharp enough, he just steadily lifted the pace to a higher level.

And he should have tried to counter AC's attack when he reeled it in.

It was as if Andy simply didn't believe he could break him. Maybe AS was hoping for AC to blow up straight away @ 10k out and as soon as that didn't work he was unsure what to do.

Still two stages to go, though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't think Schleck had it, and nor did Contador. However what you've got to remember is that Schleck is a relatively weak time-triallist compared to some others in the GC positions just below him, so he had to make sure he got some time on them, not just try to gain some on Contador. He probably couldn't do both, so at least he may have secured his second place.

Interesting, Stephen Roche on Eurosport is suggesting AS' (or Saxo's) tactics weren't right. Schleck blew off the rest of the GC guys too early - he could have used them as foils for his own attacks, given AC loads of different things to think about. Also, his accelerations weren't sharp enough, he just steadily lifted the pace to a higher level.
It was classic Riis. Very conservative and very, very predictable. They did exactly the same on Alpe D'Huez when Sastre won. I don't think you can blow Contador off like that, I'm not sure exactly what would do the trick, but steady riding definitely won't.

I wonder what impact the loss of Franck actually had in the end? Personally I think that it forced Andy to ride his own race, rather than looking to Big Bro for guidance.

raindog

er.....
As far as climbing goes you couldn't get a fag paper between those two this year. I just curse that SRAM drama the other day for taking away some of the excitement. Dramatic image of them battling together in the mist though - doesn't get much better imo.

theboytaylor

I wonder what impact the loss of Franck actually had in the end? Personally I think that it forced Andy to ride his own race, rather than looking to Big Bro for guidance.

Saxo would have had someone else to fire up the road to maybe give Contador a few more problems. Saxo kept on using up all their domestiques to shake the bunch down to a manageable number, but all the other GC guys knew that as long as they could stick with AS and AC then they would always be in the final selection, without ever looking like they could actually get the yellow themselves. Therefore Contador only really had to keep his eye on Schleck. Having another guy capable of contesting the Classement (respect to Mr Kelly) would have certainly given Contador a few headaches.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was classic Riis. Very conservative and very, very predictable. They did exactly the same on Alpe D'Huez when Sastre won. I don't think you can blow Contador off like that, I'm not sure exactly what would do the trick, but steady riding definitely won't.

Well, next year, Frank's going to be the big influence again, as they're both leaving Riis...

mangaman

Typically - I forgot to set the bleeding Sky Plus today (why doesn't Eurosport have series link?)

How were the 2 at the end - did Andy still seem pissed off with Bertie or did they show some mutual respect at the end?

Sounded like an amazing spectacle

frank9755

Cyclist
Typically - I forgot to set the bleeding Sky Plus today (why doesn't Eurosport have series link?)

How were the 2 at the end - did Andy still seem pissed off with Bertie or did they show some mutual respect at the end?

Sounded like an amazing spectacle

Bad luck!

They were hugging at the end.

darkstar

Great effort by both of the leaders today, both matched each other till the end. Not fussed who wins out of the two.

Have to say though, the crowd are absolutely nuts, weird as hell. Where do they come from??

mik

maybe they should start to employ team tactics al la F1... so that say half way up the Tourmalet Fabian Cancellara could have steered his bike flat out into Contador's thus allowing Andy Shleck to escape to a well deserved victory :whistle:

mangaman

maybe they should start to employ team tactics al la F1... so that say half way up the Tourmalet Fabian Cancellara could have steered his bike flat out into Contador's thus allowing Andy Shleck to escape to a well deserved victory :whistle:

Actually I've often wondered that. A skilled bike-handler like Canellara, when finishing his turn on the front, pulls away into Contador's path. I'm sure they could make it look accidental. Of course Schleck wouldn't have to wait after the last little spat they had.

I'm surprised Riis hasn't had the team out practising for months ;)

I suppose there's a danger of Cancellara breaking a bone or something.

Top Bottom