Stage 9 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I suppose it'll be a spoiler at some point :?:

Anyway my reason for starting the thread now is to gauge opinion about the stage profile.

What's the point of having the d'Aspin and Tourmalet followed by 70km of downhill?

Looks like a stage which could have a breakaway but potentially it could be a "Mountain" stage where is comes down to a "sprint" finish.

Might just be the stage for Sylvain Chavanel, far enough down the GC to not be chased down and decent enough going up the way and a skilled descender. But he's not in my Fantasy Team.

However, I reckon he might take a few others with him and I'm looking at Arvesen to be one of them and he is in my Fantasy Team. And if does come down to a sprint and he's in the mix he might just get the win.

yello

I've got to finish mowing the lawn. I think this stage is one of the betters ones for that!

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

yello said:
I've got to finish mowing the lawn. I think this stage is one of the betters ones for that!

Aye, strange that a stage which has d'Aspin and Tourmalet could potentially be dull :cry:

But given what has gone so far it might just be full of intrigue :biggrin:

Bartie and Lance might bitch slap each other :laugh:

This is all just winding up for Ventoux. I mean you never know what's going to happen but with the finish so far from Tourmalet none of the GC's are going to get away are they. Maybe Evans fancies his chances again and gets into a break whereupon, every one acts like the spotty kid with the braces is trying to hang out with them.

maurice

70km of downhill at the end? Maybe Cancellara will take back the yellow!

Seriously, doesn't sound like the recipe for a good stage, can't see any of the top 10 GC wearing themselves out with an attack. Has to be one for Evans, F.Schleck or Sastre maybe to have a pop.

Steve Austin said:
Its set up perfectly for Virenque to shoot off and grab them KOM points to get the Polka Dots :laugh:

It's funny you should say that but in the course of looking at the LeTour sight today I was having a bit of trouble deciphering the stage and results. It took me a few moments to realize I was looking at a 2008 archive. The results were just about believable, Kirchen was doing well :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Looking at the profile, I was thinking that the last 4km were almost as flat as a pursuit, and if Bradley was still in the leading group at that point, we could see a famous victory... but maybe not since he says he's sacrificed is 'top end' power for lighter weight.

Paul_L

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Looking at the profile, I was thinking that the last 4km were almost as flat as a pursuit, and if Bradley was still in the leading group at that point, we could see a famous victory... but maybe not since he says he's sacrificed is 'top end' power for lighter weight.

That is quite possible. Not sure what his descending skills are but certainly the last 35km are TT teritory. With a rest day tomorrow, we could see some hard chases.

For Wiggins, i think it very much depends what Vandevelde is up to as well as he appears to be a very loyal dom.

I don't get the high mountains followed by downhill. I'm guessing it's to minimise any climbing advantage early in the tour and stack up the suspense for an almighty scrap on the Ventoux.

yello

He will certainly find it very difficult to make up time. As yesterday's stage showed when he went away in the breakaway, he's a marked man.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They just went past the B&B I stayed in a few weeks back. It took me 1h30m to get up the Tourmalet - I fancy they may be a little quicker but they probably won't celebrate with a couple of beers!

Top Bottom