Stage 9 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

alecstilleyedye said:
disappointing stage for such great climbs; they were far too near the middle of the stage.

I told you so! :biggrin:

Good on the two who managed to stay away, but it was 'dull'.

yello said:
Now now!

My wife noticed it whilst he was still head down going for it, in specs and helmet. I wasn't paying THAT much attention and it was only afterwards that I could appreciate it in its full Gallic glory!
We were speculating on how long it would be before UCI banned the French aerobeak. :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was nice to see the break stay away, but it was a relatively pointless stage - which for one containing the Tourmalet, is unforgivable!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Everyone is moaning about the lack of mountain-top finishes at this stage in the tour, but I'm quite happy with it. I reckon they want to minimize the opportunities for riders to open up gaps so it makes the penultimate stage really exciting.

Think about it, there shouldn't be any massive gaps opening up in the TT, maybe some small gaps on Verbier...

So we should be heading up Ventoux with a few seconds between the GC contenders, how great will that be!?!?!?!?

yello

zimzum42 said:
Everyone is moaning about the lack of mountain-top finishes at this stage in the tour, but I'm quite happy with it. I reckon they want to minimize the opportunities for riders to open up gaps so it makes the penultimate stage really exciting.

"Everyone"? I don't think that's quite the case xx( Certainly I like mountain top finishes, as I said before. And it's not moaning to say I like something!

I don't agree with your reasoning btw. Let's say the organisers DO want to minimize gaps until the penultimate stage. Doesn't that make every other stage nothing more than a bit of a procession? If that's the objective then why bother with other 20 odd stages at all and just decide the lot on a TT? :biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I thought yesterday's stage was great, it just wasn't that significant in terms of GC, but it was still a good stage.

I think part of the problem is that most people who watch the TdF don't watch any other races and don't appreciate anything but the GC clash...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
zimzum42 said:
I think part of the problem is that most people who watch the TdF don't watch any other races and don't appreciate anything but the GC clash...

That's hardly true for most of the people commenting here, Zim. A lot of us, along with several of the riders in the Tour BTW, just didn't think that particular stage, particularly the 70km downhill run in, was very well thought out, especially with a rest day coming up. That's all. It stands out all the more because the Tour has been outstanding so far and perhaps we have been spoiled...

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

zimzum42 said:

Think about it, there shouldn't be any massive gaps opening up in the TT, maybe some small gaps on Verbier...

So we should be heading up Ventoux with a few seconds between the GC contenders, how great will that be!?!?!?!?

So, essentially the Tour comes down to who can climb Ventoux quickest? :ohmy:

Hardly a Grand Tour then....more a grand stage. That's what the Spring Classics are for...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Was talking more generally than just the comments on this forum

as for climbing ventoux the quickest, you could see it that way, but I reckon that's still better than knowing who's going to win for the final week and hoping for a dramatic failure, or everything riding on a final TT....

onthe_road

Crackle said:
...He was saying that Bertie will have less advantage in the Alps with their lower gradient and better surfaces. So far, there has not been much climbing action. In fact I'm hoping there's not going to be a huge anti-climax. I don't like this route.

That would play nicely into BW's hand. Imagine if he ends up on the podium? Cav might even forgive him for not winning Madison gold and stop taking swipes at Garmin :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I see Zimmers point, but last year's GC was competitive because of the mountain top finishes. And, such is the fearsome character of Ventoux if the wind gets up that I think they could have had mountain top finishes and left the final result in doubt until the second to last day.

Top Bottom