Stage 9 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yesterday it still looked quite open but today it looks more of a two horse race. Mind you two weeks to go, so anything can still happen. I was impressed and disappointed by your man Luis Sanchez. Cracking break but he failed to take it up on the flat and press his advantage, maybe he didn't have it by that point.

Luis Leon Sanchez is in my Fantasy team, with a Joker on him today. :biggrin:

Noodley

Well done Sandy Casar, one of my favourite riders. In fact he was my 'love to see win' pick in the 'Love/Think will win the Tour' thread.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well done Sandy Casar, one of my favourite riders. In fact he was my 'love to see win' pick in the 'Love/Think will win the Tour' thread.

It always raises a smile when he wins. I was reading an article the other day that was making the case that in a previous era with more basic technology, less team support and no race radios, he might have been one of the greats. He does seem to represent something real, gritty and unglamorous.

Are the Americans taking their commentary as well? I know they used to do it for OLN was it. If so it would explain their heavy bias somewhat.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Impressed by Schleck today. Not renowned as a descender or rouleur, but he certainly drove it well down the Madeleine and in the Maurienne valley at the end, right to the finish too, looking full of fight.

That Madeleine descent is actually pretty gruelling if you race down it - plenty of sections where you have to pedal hard (especially where the wind is against), and enough tight bends needing you to ride hard out of to get back to speed quickly. I remember it being one of the few descents where we actually encountered a Frenchie able to keep up with us!

The final Maurienne valley is also noticeably uphill in today's direction. Not sure what the wind was doing on this stage, but if the wind isn't helpful, those gradually uphill valley roads feel pretty darn heavy when in a small group and with a day's mountain passes in the legs, so it's good to see two climbers ride the rest of the race off their wheels in both the ascent and descent/valley sections.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
And just HOW 'dour' was Sunday's stage, exactly?

Willo

Agree with the comment on Evans, it must be so brutal to keep on pushing when you're really suffering and know your chance of winning has gone. One thing about Evans is that it's all there to see, no running and hiding on the bus; he faces up to the public and his emotion is for all to see.

Thought Schlek looked good, although think Contadot maybe just seeking to wipe out the rest of the field knowing he'll take Schlek in the TT.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Agree with the comment on Evans, it must be so brutal to keep on pushing when you're really suffering and know your chance of winning has gone. One thing about Evans is that it's all there to see, no running and hiding on the bus; he faces up to the public and his emotion is for all to see.

On the other hand, with Cav's propensity for saying stupid things when he's feeling emotional, perhaps it's just as well that he runs to the bus! (Even if his helmet doesn't stay there :laugh: - but seeing a video of that again - there are a lot of steps up to the 'floor' of the bus - is it possible that he just dropped it and it bounced down the steps?)

Top Bottom