Stages Ultegra on Offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Bought a Stages 6800 Ultegra power meter on Friday. Been fancying one all year, but price was a tiny bit much for me to risk. Tredz have them on offer for £389, having bought up 75 of them to shift quickly at a great price.

First impressions are that this is the tool for me. I love looking at data, and will now mess around with positioning, kit, and approaches to climbs and longer TT efforts.

Testing on the coldest and wettest windy day in a while was never going to be ideal. Especially considering that the three year f us had all agreed that we were going to have an ultra chilled ride.

I was pleasantly surprised that I appear to have a smooth pedal stroke. Only basing that on what I saw and read online mind you. The reviews suggest not to look at the current power figure and to use the 3s and 10s average figure, until you get used to it. The basis being that the current power will be very erratic if you don’t have a smooth pedal stroke. Mine was pretty close on all three when on the flat or steady climb.

huwsparky

Über Member
Due to how the stages unit measures power, there's no way it can tell you you have a 'smooth pedal Stoke' like say a wattbike does with pedal analysis.

It basically measures left leg power for one revolution and doubles it to allow for the right leg, nothing more.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Due to how the stages unit measures power, there's no way it can tell you you have a 'smooth pedal Stoke' like say a wattbike does with pedal analysis.

It basically measures left leg power for one revolution and doubles it to allow for the right leg, nothing more.
I didn’t say balance as, you’re right, it’s clearly not possible. I said a smooth stroke as defined by a number of online reviews and guidance found on YouTube also.

They reckon that the instant power figure is less erratic when you have a smoother pedalling routine.

I can only take their word for that, as I have only done 30 miles.

huwsparky

Über Member
Yeah, 1s power will always be erratic and there's no real reason to ever use it. A human is very inefficient during a pedal stroke, just the nature of the beast.

huwsparky

Über Member
It has given me an idea for my pressie list.
To be fair you can't go wrong for the money. I got one of the first Gen 2 units just over 2 years ago and it's been pretty solid to be fair. It eats batteries in cold wet weather, that's the only real issue I've had with mine but I've got the art of changing the battery down to about 30s!

The 4iiii unit gets reviewed well too at similar money.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Yeah, 1s power will always be erratic and there's no real reason to ever use it. A human is very inefficient during a pedal stroke, just the nature of the beast.
I agree. My point was just that it was nowhere near as erratic as I was expecting. Could change on subsequent rides mind.

Top Bottom